Vortex Springs, Florida ... 2/24/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wanadive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
And just how many divers can you get in Vortex Springs?

It was the first time for us there and we were impressed. Busy Busy place, lots of divers, nice dive shop, fair visibility. Amazed at the distance drivers come to Vortex from all over North and elsewwhere. Meet some really nice people there.

If you were there Sat. 2/24 - stop in and post a Hello!

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on comparison to Morrison Springs. We FINALLY found Morrison in the boon-docks - LOL! Appears to be a nice dive site as well; just no facilities.

Thanks!

We were there - We started off at Morrison Springs, but my regulator developed a leak in a low pressure hose, which forced us to abort the Morrison dive. Went to Vortex for a quick repair and decided to stay for a two tank dive. Man it was really crowded. My son pegged it - It was like, excuse me, pardon me, excuse me, pardon me. LOL. But it was a great trip. We loved, loved, loved it. Can't wait to go again. Everyone we talked to was just real friendly - a fun time for all.

That was wierd- I was looking at your bio and post from a different part of Scuba Borad and came upon YOU were there Sat. @ Vortex - WOW! Small world! Have you also dove Morrison Springs - If so is it worth going as well?

Fish_Whisperer:
I've been TO Morrison, but never dove it. I was put off by the sign, Alligators and snakes may be present. LOL

I've heard from other divers though, that Morrison is a MUCH better, more interesting dive than Vortex.

Morrison is a great place to dive and is $32 bucks cheaper to dive at than vortex is.

Frank, btw, they took care of the Alligator problem at Morrison. Bull sharks can live in fresh water and they scared them all away. Of course you've still got the snake problem. (not to mention the sharks.)

here's the new sign.

gator.jpg

Oh Thanks MIKE! So that's the sign @ Morrison's?????????
Yeah - - - NOT what I want to run face to face with a cotton head underwater!?!?!?! So . . . . HOW do you avoid the snakes and alligators? We FINALLY found the fresh water eeels in Vortex Sat. ~~~ They were really kool to watch!

wanadive:
Oh Thanks MIKE! So that's the sign @ Morrison's?????????

I can truthfully say that sign is indeed the sign at Morrisons.

Now... we photoshopped that picture last year to mess with someone else. It does say alligators on it instead of sharks. But the only 'Gator' I've seen there was some drunk redneck local with a big Univ of FL logo on his pickup truck.

Yeah - - - NOT what I want to run face to face with a cotton head underwater!?!?!?! So . . . . HOW do you avoid the snakes and alligators?

Al long as the water levels aren't up, the water temps stay down. When the river level rises above 6', the river back fills into the basin with warmer water. When it's below 6' or so, the basin flows out more water so that the water is all spring water and not river water. When it's all spring water, it's colder, like 68f. (it's also clearer then).

Now I'm not going to say you're never going to run into a snake/gator in 68f water, but it's more unlikely. Most of those cold blooded creatures stay to the comfort of the warmer water in the river.

(Note: I said 'river level' at 6' or so. Don't confuse the basin depth with the river level which is measured on a guage somewhere on the river. it can be checked on a link on the NOAA website.)

We FINALLY found the fresh water eeels in Vortex Sat. ~~~ They were really kool to watch!

take some Cheese Whiz with you next time. They become your buddy then.

Btw... there are eels in Morrison cavern also.

Back
Top Bottom