Vortex Springs, Florida ... 2/24/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the locals far prefer Morrison to Vortex. I don't even go to Vortex for fills.

Not to mention boat propellers...

But seriously. I've been to Morrison several times and enjoyed it every time. The viz has been awesome every time I've been there. There is a LOT of sediment on the bottom so be very careful or all of that wonderful viz is gone. Contrary to Vortex the spring here produces a outbound current which actually churns up the silt if anyone knocks into the side of the hole on the way down. The earlier you get there the better. When the crowds get big someone is going to silt it out.

I was at Vortex Saturday.

okayyyyyy . .. Did not see the sign on our drive thru...maybe a good thing - lol!
Sure does look like where "Swamp Thing" was filmed many moons ago - swampy ! Bet it's chillin' to the bone at night;yet beautiful at the same time. and SHARKS ??? Didn't know they lived in fresh water !!! Thanks so much for the insight. Since it is free we do intend on diving it for the experience and reg time and ONE more loggable dive. There were MANY alligators and Indians on those redneck pickups in the parking lot. LOL!

did my checkout dives at vortex springs alot of people this weekend

hello , i was at vortex as well. Morrison is great definately a must and you can't beat the price.

wanadive:
Oh and someone told us also hotdogs atTract the eels - have you heard this as well???

Yes. Hot dogs do attract the eels and the fish. The oil in the hotdogs causes them to go crazy.

While this is fun to see with the fish, the oil gets on your hands/gloves and the fish still sense/smell it and will nip at your fingers... which is kind of fun.

this brings us to the eels. the eels have teeth. The hot dogs have oil. The oils get on your fingers.... they want to then nip at your oily fingers..... remember that eel's have teeth? I wouldn't suggest feeding hot dogs to the eels. (especially if you dive in the nude like certain people might...) just my suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom