Vote for an idea

{{{ Please vote here }}}

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I frequent a dive shop that not only caters to new divers with an in-store classroom and pool but also to tech divers. They are the only shop in the area that does both. The owner and his employees are knowledgeable and very helpful. The shop sponsors trips as well as local beach and boat dives. It is the model all shops should strive for.

At the same time they receive negative reviews from dissatisfied customers occasionally on Yelp. The shop owner replies to every negative review politely and always offer a sensible resolution to the customers' problems. Still, some people can't be satisfied. I have discussed some of the more negative reviews with the owner and employees and it is almost always someone who signed up for a class then skipped sessions or bought an item, used and abused it and then demanded a full refund.

Thanks for the story sharing!
May I know eventually the dive shop owner remove the profile from Yelp (just curious)?
Take Yelp as an example, we know there are problems of abuse or even law sue. I am thinking why do business owners still leave their profile on Yelp??

I would like students of any number of disciplines that I teach... to rate me only after 3 or 5 years into their pursuit, after I had taught them.

(I never taught basic SCUBA certs, ever, but...) Any number of students in LE training put me in the raging @$$hole category, but after their life experiences build up, they search me out to buy me beers.

What weight can be given to a statement such as, "I just got my c-card an boy~ is Wally the bestest instructor ever!"

Time changes perspective.

The Google machine is a wonderful thing. People need to research and there is plenty of info on the web, both in forum form and Yelp like sites.....to make an educated guess about diving plans.

I too have noticed that there are some scuba dive "shop" (places offering diving, not necessarily any gear/accessories for sale) reviews on Trip Advisor. The ones I've seen seemed reasonable accounts of one customer's experience, not like they had an axe to grind. But I haven't read all that many either.

Negative reviews open the possibility of getting sued, no matter how hard and well documented your facts might be.

Learning from Yelp and TripAdvisor, you can see that there is a lot of abuse as well as places that pay money to get rid of bad reviews or include good reviews. In addition to the legality, I think you'll end up with a lot of people who never do reviews & just some squeaky few. When I'm traveling, I do quite a bit of research with certain sites more heavily weighted than others. I usually take sites like Trip Advisor into very little account, but weight sites like Scubaboard & Undercurrent much heavier.

"I received this product for free in exchange for my honest and unbiased product review, and my honest and unbiased product review is that it's absolutely the bestest product since sliced bread."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom