VR3 - Opinion Based on Facts

VR3 Computer - Facts based on experience

• It sucks and is nothing but hype!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It's decent!

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • It's has bugs or other problems with it!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Suunto is Better!

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Uwatec is Better!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a great computer, reliable, durable, it can do a lot, and worth the cost!

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usil once bubbled...
If you are only doing dives to 160' and only on nitrox, why do you need such a hard core computer??

kind a like buying a hummer to take the kids to school??
looks cool but a pain in the ass to park!!

I already put my order in for a Suunto Vytec. Once things settle down with the VR3 as far as being a solid unit and the problems stop, it will be there for me the future.

usil once bubbled...
If you are only doing dives to 160' and only on nitrox, why do you need such a hard core computer??

kind a like buying a hummer to take the kids to school??
looks cool but a pain in the ass to park!!

Not really, you just cruise right over the Range Rovers and MBs.
And what if it snows?

I think the display is really small.

Its bigger than the Suunto's and Alladins and is very easy to read during the dive. As the display is changeable they dont need to show so much at once and hence it can be bigger

I don't really understand why people say they have a hard time understanding the VR3, or that anything on it is complicated.....I have had absolutely no problems with mine, and find that it is actually very easy to figure out and operate. If all else fails, RTFM before you start cursing the thing for not operating as you feel it should.

I have about 20 dives on my VR3 - about 75% of them nitrox dives with decompression gas, and the rest are trimix dives(with multiple deco gases). The VR3 has come very close to the tables I cut. A nice feature is the built in planning software.....so you can plan dives and cut tables based on the dive(s) that you have already done. Try doing that accurately with a laptop and deco software.....and then try doing that on a boat in 6-8ft seas.

People complain about the display.....I have absolutely no problem with it. I think it's just about right. I don't care about the backlighting not staying on the whole dive.......I'm not looking at the computer every second of the dive, so what does it matter? If I need the light, just press a button and it comes on.....or I can flash my light over it real quick and see everything just fine.

I already put my order in for a Suunto Vytec. Once things settle down with the VR3 as far as being a solid unit and the problems stop, it will be there for me the future.

Your first post said that you just put in an order for a VR3.....have you put in an order for BOTH computers? I have heard some good, some bad about the Vytec - but it was not a consideration for me as it is not a trimix capable computer. I know a few people with the Vytec, and they have all had problems with the transmitter. I, personally, would not use the transmitter with the Vytec anyways.......an SPG is much easier, simpler, and more reliable. The only Suunto that I have personal experience with is the Cobra.....and that turned me away from Suunto computers permanently.

Mike

My choice went to the Suunto because I have never seen the VR3 in person. I actually know people who have it, so I had the opportunithy to play around with it. The wait for the VR3 was going to be long anyway so my LDS did not have a problem ordering the Vytec. I think I will be just fine. Like I said, in the future the VR3 will be there for me, and then the Suunto would be fine as a backup.

Rush once bubbled...
I enjoy my VR3. I have the Closed Circuit Trimix version. When I first got it, scrolling through the menus took a little while to become comfortable with. Aside from that, I have been happy with it. I find the screen size and the electro-luminous (not Indiglo) backlight easy to read. Now I am looking forward to a CCR so I can really use all the features!

I hate to burst your bubble - electro-luminous displays ARE INDIGLO displays.. The patent on this type of display is held by timex..

INDIGLO is a trademarked term for this type of display..

it was originally patented for an analog watch here is the patent

http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed...,775,964.WKU.&OS=PN/4,775,964&RS=PN/4,775,964

which followed the following patent

http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed...,208,869.WKU.&OS=PN/4,208,869&RS=PN/4,208,869

I just gave back the new Cochran Gemini (7 dives with it and it worked only on 2) that I bought and got a VR3. After 5 dives with the VR3, I must say that it is nothing short of spectacular. Easy to see, easy to program, easy to use in the water.

The only thing that it really needs is air integration. However, except for the extra hose, I really don't mind going back to the old brass OMS SPG (always accurate).

Additionally, it will be nice when Delta P comes out with the new VR3 cradle that will allow you to upgrade it via the internet next month.

I also think that they would sell a lot more VR3s if they gave away the Log and Deco Planning software for free.

As far as indiglo, not all electro-luminous displays are indiglo. However, even if the VR3 display is indiglo, it blows away my old Cochran Gemini and Suunto Cobra.

padiscubapro once bubbled...

I hate to burst your bubble - electro-luminous displays ARE INDIGLO displays.. The patent on this type of display is held by timex..

INDIGLO is a trademarked term for this type of display..

it was originally patented for an analog watch here is the patent

http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed...,775,964.WKU.&OS=PN/4,775,964&RS=PN/4,775,964

which followed the following patent

http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed...,208,869.WKU.&OS=PN/4,208,869&RS=PN/4,208,869

No need to worry about having burst my bubble, as I was merely addressing the fact that the term Indiglo was being used inappropriately. Delta P uses a different system than a $ 10 watch. The electro luminous screen on the VR3 is said to have a life of 5 years CONSTANT USE. But that is neither here nor there, as I haven't noticed a significant reduction in brightness in my VR3
and it is bright enough for me to read it. And if after another year or so of use, I find that the backlight is significantly dimmer, I guess to boost your ego, I will make a post stating that your Kung Fu is better than mine !:D :D :D :D :D

Have fun and dive safe !

yeah - finally got the right o rings and my VR3 is back in the water!!

The only thing that I would add to it is a SI display - but that's because I am lazy and don't log time in and time out.

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom