VR3 vs Cochran

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shipreq

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have experience with a VR3 and/or Cocharn dive computer such as an EMC-20H? Trying to decide between the two. Much of my diving is cold dark water and I can not see my Niteck 3 as well as I used to. I am looking for pros and cons for both. Thx

the cochran does your gas switching for you at what ever depth it is preset for. you dont have any control once you are in the water. go to decostop.com for a larger group of people who can answer your question.

Russ

I can't speak for the cochran as I've never been in the water with one. I dive two VR3's and absolutlely love them. I've had them for about a year, so I'm not sure about the newest computers, but at the time, in my opinion, there wasn't a better computer on the market. You have total control both in the water & at the surface. settings can be changed during the dive. As far as seeing in low viz areas, I don't have much to compare my computers to, but the backlight can be programmed to stay on at different intervals. I have mine programmed to stay on during the entire dive. Never had a problem seeing the computer even in the worst of viz conditions. The VR3 also automatically swithches to the best gas for your given depth according to which gases you have programmed & turned on. There's not much you can't do with the VR3 & I would highly recommend it to any diver.

Thank you for the feedback. I understand that the most of the issues with the earlier VR3s have been worked out and the current models and software are very reliable.

Thank you for the feedback Russ. That is one of the short falls I have heard about the Cochran. Still in the investigative mode before I buy. Thx again.

so what did you end up with? I'm also in the market and trying to research the options.

so what did you end up with? I'm also in the market and trying to research the options.

I took the plunge and bought a VR3 through Dive rite express. I am truly hoping this will be the last dive computer I need to buy and that it is fully upgradeable well into the future. I am going to Gilboa this weekend to try it out. We will see how it does.

You won't be sorry with your purchase. I purchased a VR3 about 6 months ago. I use it for my CCR, as well as a back-up when I'm OC diving. All I can stress is read the manual and play alot with the computer. It can be a bit frustrating until you learn the functions.

There are several informative threads on rebreather world forum about the computer... I learned more there than I did through the manual.

Amen Rhino. I went to Curacao almost immediately after getting my first VR3. I read the horrible manual which is borderline useless & was frustrated diving it the entire week. It kept telling me I missed stops on non deco dives. I almost smashed it against a rock on shore. Later realized the missed stops were microbubble stops. After several more series of dives & practice with it, Got it mastered. Fully understanding the computer & all its functions makes all the difference.

Back
Top Bottom