WA lens - RX100 / Nauticam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James R

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What do you guys think? I've read every review and thread I could find...so just want to throw this out there for those of you with a bit more hands-on with these lenses.

a) Inon H100 + Dome
Clearly the most expensive option. How much better is this? If it's really worth it, fine, but is it twice the price better than the others?

b) Fix UWL-04
Seems like a great option, but I worry about the 52-67mm adapter and taking the lens on and off while on a dive to switch to my macro lenses. I realize 67mm may not be the ideal option for swapping on a dive, but I've already got two Inon macro wet lenses carried over from my old camera.

c) Something else?

I will be shooting the Rx100/Nauticam housing with two Inon z-240 strobes.

Thanks for any advice!

Best,

You have basically 4 options, depending on how much money you have.

M67 thread: Fix UWL28M52 or iDivesite UWL04
Inon LD Bayonet through Fix M67-LDF Pro adapter:UWL-H100 28LD plus dome
Inon 28AD bayonet through fix M67-ADF Pro adapter: UWL-100 28AD : contrary to what people say this works fine as the RX100 at 28mm is fully extended. This lens can be found second hand
Inon AD bayonet: you need a Fix M67-ADF Pro plus my mod kit with spacer and screw then you can attach the Inon UFL165AD

Lens wise the Inon UWL-H100 or UWL-100 28AD once you have the dome are the best, but they are expensive
The Fix lens is fine so is the UWL-04
The Inon UFL165AD remains my preferred lens as it is small and has bayonet can be found 2nd hand,
The RX100 requires a close up lens even just for close up! A lot of lens changes, needs light lenses and a good caddy

You have M67 lenses already the most natural choice would be the UWL-04

Right, I have two Inon UCL-165 M67 lenses already & a couple Nauticam lens caddies on order. I also have a Saga 67mm flip adapter that may not see the water anytime soon.

The only worry I have with the UWL-04 is the adapter. I have a feeling I'll be swapping lenses some during the dives in Bonaire (next real trip), and I'm not sure how solid that 52-67mm adapter is - or how likely it is to bedome lost. I guess I could really tighten it (within reason) to the lens, but that may make rinsing between dive days a bit interesting. Or just epoxy it on there? haha j/k

Thanks!

There are always challenges screwing lens on threads. You can't have it all. Unless you want to spend some $$$ on Inon UWL-H100 28M67 Plus dome
You could also source an old UWL-100 with dome that is reported to work fine with the RX100. The UWL100 original version is a fabulous lens

I ended up finding a great deal on the Inon H100 Type 2 & Dome here on the board...I'm looking forward to getting it in the water! Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
James

I wouldn't be swapping off the dome too much underwater. Risk scratching it. Decide beforehand if you are doing macro or WA.

I wouldn't be swapping off the dome too much underwater. Risk scratching it. Decide beforehand if you are doing macro or WA.

That's what I have decided to do: make up my mind before the dive and deal with the decision. I figure it will be good training for when I move to my DSLR :)

You can convert an Inon M67 into a bayonet it just needs changing the mount. The body of the lens is exactly the same and then you will be sure that the dome petals are aligned correctly
As an owner or former owner of UWL-100 Achromat, UWL-H100, UFL165AD and UWL105AD I would say the best results with the RX100 are the UFL165 and the old UWL-100 Achromat. The UWL-H100 and UWL105 have more fringing, however once you put a dome on the UWL-H100 things should improve dramatically

Hi guys,
I recently purchase UWL-05, i will make a review for it once I have the chance to try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom