Wahoo & Barracuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M_B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
i just curious , what is the difference ( if any ) between barracuda and wahoo?
thank you.

i think wahoo tastes better

Wahoo make the very best tasting sashimi. They are in completely different families but have a similar shape. Barracuda look meaner, that is how I tell the difference (and the wahoo has a broader dorsal).

M_B:
Hello,
thank you.
The wahoo is in the mackerel family (Scombridae) and the barracuda is in the barracuda family (Sphyraenidae). The wahoo has a long hard, spiny dorsal fin while the barracuda has soft fins.

M_B:
Hello,
thank you.

They both have elongated, torpedo shaped bodies and lots of teeth but that's about where the similarity ends. Wahoo tastes way better. And they fight a lot more when you hook them. Barracuda will make one or two runs and are worn out. Wahoo fight more like a tuna or jack. Barracuda will come into estuaries and shallow reef waters. Wahoo are mainly blue water fish. Wahoo have the "V" shaped tail of the tuna/jack families. Barracuda have the softer, straight edge caudal fin.

Vladimir, Hank thank you for your posts - this is exactly what i wonder about .
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom