wait time before and after flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shotz22

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Need some clarification. do you have to wait 24 hour after your flight to dive.I know you have to wait 24 hours before you can fly after your dive

Need some clarification. do you have to wait 24 hour after your flight to dive.I know you have to wait 24 hours before you can fly after your dive

You can wear your gear on the in-bound flight and fall right into the water.

The only rate-limiting factor after flying is how long it takes to get off the plane, claim your luggage, and get to the dive op

No,
There is no "rule" that reads you can not dive after flying. Like RJP wrote, you can jump right into the water off the on ramp if you can arrange it.

I would suggest though that you stay hydrated during the flight if you are going to do that.

No, example: a week from Thurs, we're flying into Cozumel & landing around noon...we'll be in the water diving with Aldora by 2 to 2:30 PM..Have done this for years with them & in fact, it's now on their website ie 'diving on day of arrival'(see link)---fly & dive, all in 1 day....just stay hydrated

Satisfaction Guarantee

DAN at one time (maybe still, I don't know) had recommended 24 hrs. BSAC recommends 10 hrs especially if the flight is 90 mins. or less.

In addition to dehydration and fatigue, there are other factors like breathing PO2 of about 16%, micro bubble formation and the vagaries of DCI. I readily admit not having made the effort to understand it fully.

What I understand however, is that diving immediately after flying is not guaranteed risk free.

I dive as soon as possible when I get off the plane. I don't push the diving 24 hour before flying rule usually ends up being 36'ish hours however Saturday was 25 hours.

I dive as soon as possible when I get off the plane. I don't push the diving 24 hour before flying rule usually ends up being 36'ish hours however Saturday was 25 hours.

Not in the old days-------in '94, made 24 dives in 6 consecutive days out of FI, Roatan---- flew back to Houston 13 hrs later(a man has to do what a man has to do, lol).......can a corn......

You may also want to consider how rested you are and well fed. We have taken many a newer diver out after they have made a long journey without mush sleep and it did effect the fun they had that day.:wink:
Mush sleep
146255310_aa53a006ec.jpg

I can see how it lowers the fun factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom