Wakatobi info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From memory we flew
Brisbane to Jakarta
Jakarta to Makassar
Makassar to Kendari
Kendari to bau bau
Mini van from bau bau to Pasawarjo
Boat from Pasawarjo to Palua Hoga

It was a journey but we loved it

Sorry to poo-poo on Wakatobi. I was in Wakatobi Dive Resort in 2009, which was a fine dive resort. However I saw lack of pelagic (no sharks, nor mantas), seemed the area were fished out. The resort had to pay “rent” to the local villages to keep them from dynamite fishing. That was 13 years ago. Hopefully things are improving.

It was “been there & done that” kind of thing. Check off my bucket list.

Unlike Wakatobi, Raja Ampat & Komodo are like magnets. They keep drawing me back.

I was in Raja Ampat 8 times. The 9th time would be January 2023 & 10th time would be in February 2024.

I was in Komodo 3 times. The 4th time would be this coming July.

From memory we flew
Brisbane to Jakarta
Jakarta to Makassar
Makassar to Kendari
Kendari to bau bau
Mini van from bau bau to Pasawarjo
Boat from Pasawarjo to Palua Hoga

It was a journey but we loved it
I did check the itinerary and thought there is/was no way that I will ever make the trip.
Glad U2 loved it and I do not think anyone can take that away.

I did check the itinerary and thought there is/was no way that I will ever make the trip.
Glad U2 loved it and I do not think anyone can take that away.
D0501066-68BA-4CE2-BCF6-B1005989CCC9.jpeg
We were there for several months.This is where we lived the whole time. We were young so it was quite the adventure, met some wonderful people and had some great experiences. Diving is not on par with R4 but was the best we had done at that point of our lives.

Dan that was not my experience. There were any number of sharks, but mostly away from the closer in dives. 2 of our group took a daybreak dive and came back with unbelievable video of dozens of sharks patrolling and feeding off the reef - and that *was a close in dive. I have vivid memories of Eagle rays, but don't recall mantas. I did manage to get a shot of the biggest swirling swarm of Barracuda I've ever seen. The macro was great, and the corals were out of this world. I was there twice, and neither visit disappointed. As for logistics, I can only remember the flight out (another trip it was a flight in but I forget the details) - it was the airport on Wangi-Wangi with a connection in Manado, and from there to DPS.

Dan that was not my experience. There were any number of sharks, but mostly away from the closer in dives. 2 of our group took a daybreak dive and came back with unbelievable video of dozens of sharks patrolling and feeding off the reef - and that *was a close in dive. I have vivid memories of Eagle rays, but don't recall mantas. I did manage to get a shot of the biggest swirling swarm of Barracuda I've ever seen. The macro was great, and the corals were out of this world. I was there twice, and neither visit disappointed. As for logistics, I can only remember the flight out (another trip it was a flight in but I forget the details) - it was the airport on Wangi-Wangi with a connection in Manado, and from there to DPS.
Good for you!

My trip was in June-July 2009. I stayed in Wakatobi Dive Resort for 11 days & made 25 dives. Things might have changed for the better since then.

My flights were very easy, Denpasar to Tomia roundtrip, chartered by Wakatobi Resort.

One can always check out YouTube videos on what one would expect to see there. Here are two examples:

View attachment 718310We were there for several months.This is where we lived the whole time. We were young so it was quite the adventure, met some wonderful people and had some great experiences. Diving is not on par with R4 but was the best we had done at that point of our lives.
Similar set up in R4.
No need to pay for LoB.

This is all interesting reading. I have to be honest that Wakatobi isn't on anyone I know's radar. Most think why even bother?

I've been lucky enough to dive Wakatobi on a liveaboard. Considering a trip back next year, but it will not be by liveaboard and unfortunately I'm not a millionaire so it won't be Wakatobi dive resort. Can anyone point me in the right direction rea local dive op?
Just curious. Where else have you dived in Indonesia?

Thanks for the videos, they look great.

We are booked to go in August. The resort gave us credit for my canceled stay in May 2020 due to Covid, and rebooked us a few times due to changes in reopening (much appreciated). Since my wife is only a snorkeler this is one of the better land based resorts with excellent diving and snorkeling. Of course it is relatively expensive, but easy to get to from Bali via a chartered flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom