Wakatobi & ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
4 of us are planning on a dive trip to Wakatobi in April 17. Any recommendations on Bali or ? to supplement the 7 days in Wak? Combo of Macro & wide would be nice.

I can't comment on Bali first hand, although in July I'm staying at Villa Alba as part of a summer break in Indonesia. Villa Alba is run by two acquaintances who retired there. Others in my dive club (all very experienced and discerning of their diving) have loved it.

Further afield I can highly recommend Misool. Possibly not as high end as Wakatobi but I rate it as my best diving vacation ever (and I've been to a few places) Everything from pygmy sea horses to Oceanic Mantas, beautiful coral - just fantastic. The area has a no take zone thus the life there is in abundance

Bali is a perfect add on as you will need to get on your Wakatobi plane from Bali. The Tulamben/Seraya area has fantastic macro/black sand diving and Nusa Penida has very good manta opportunities (waves permitting of course). I would suggest 3 or 4 days in the Tulamben/Seraya area and 2 or 3 days of diving in Penida and a day of diving in the Padang Bai/Candidasa area on the way in between (ie: check out from Tulamben in the morning, dive Padang Bai on the way south, then check in to Sanur and dive Penida the next day)

Our LDS group is headed to Wakatobi in December. Most of the group is staying 3 nights in the Seraya area (Scuba Seraya resort) before heading of to Wakatobi. Those that did this 3 years ago rave about the shore diving from the resort and, of course, boating dive to the Liberty wreck. Wife and I are instead doing Ubud for 4 days to find our cultural side. 11 days at Wakatobi should also meet our diving needs.

Rob

been to wakatobi a couple times. excellent diving. we always take a day or 2 or 3 in bali before and afterward. last time we dove Menjangan Island area. a couple days. we stayed in the national park at the Menjangan resort. was good, but is a long trip to get there from denpaser (~4+-5 hours). we stayed in the national park and dove Menjangan Island and local reef for night mandarinfish dive.

the local dive boats look like this.
P7243559-adj-trim-small.jpg

mandarin fish pic from night dive
P7253676-adj-trim-small.jpg

place we stayed in menjangen national park. very nice.
P7243606-adj-trim-small.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom