Wall Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rivers: Yes, being over-weighted on blue water descents makes it more challenging, but being properly weighted is only one factor that influences descent rate control. If you are wearing a thick wetsuit, you'll have to add a surprising amount of air to achieve neutral buoyancy at 100 fsw. Being able to stop immediately at any given depth is a sign that you are descending under control.

thanks for the info. as i have only dove warm water so far, i have yet to dive with anything more than a 3mm shorty. good to know when i do my aow in april, in new england.

As for looking down and getting the willies, well, you won't be dong that much at all. You will be looking at the coral and sponges on the wall, and very soon you won't even think about what is below you.

Thats just what I'm hoping for. Thank You All for the replys,

One tip is have two depth limits: you're "hard" or "contingency" bottom say, 60 feet, then your "max working bottom" say, 50 or 55 feet. So you know if you've passed the first one it's NOT a big deal, just time to correct. Or if your buoyancy is really good just monitor depths and maintain the desired depth.

Have fun!

VI

I wondered what it was going to be like, too, before I made my trip to Indonesia. But I quickly figured out that you don't look down that much, anyway, on any wall, whether the bottom is where you can see it or not. You look forward, because that's where the "stuff" is. Wall dives like this ARE, however, one of the places where I'm very grateful to have my depth gauge on my wrist. If you are using a console computer, you might even think about picking up an inexpensive watch/depth gauge, so you can have your depth on your wrist where it is very easy to reference almost constantly.

Be aware of up and down currents. Water moving along a wall has to go somewhere when the wall changes direction, and sometimes it goes up or down instead of around.

I have never done a wall dive either, and you were talking about knowing what to do if you get caught in a down current. What is the proper procedure if you get caught in a down current to get out of it?

I have never done a wall dive either, and you were talking about knowing what to do if you get caught in a down current. What is the proper procedure if you get caught in a down current to get out of it?
@bs63366: I've never personally experienced strong up/down currents along a wall. One thing I'd try, though, is backing away from the wall to get out of the up/down current. I'd also try to adjust my BCD to help achieve neutral buoyancy at whatever depth I'm pushed to. Seems like common sense, though...

A lot of dive computers have depth alarms ... if you're concerned about not being able to maintain a depth you can just set the thing to beep at ya' if you exceed a certain point.

Wall diving, much like night diving, is one of those things that sounds much more nerve-wracking than it really is. Odds are you'll be so focused and close to the wall you won't even notice you're on a wall.

Have fun on the dive!

@bs63366: I've never personally experienced strong up/down currents along a wall. One thing I'd try, though, is backing away from the wall to get out of the up/down current. I'd also try to adjust my BCD to help achieve neutral buoyancy at whatever depth I'm pushed to. Seems like common sense, though...

Ok, thanks for the response. Didn't know if it was a big problem, or if it rarely happened. Also didn't know if it was just the common sense way out, or there was a known way that works good to get out.

Gosh I love wall dives... in really clear water, where there is no bottom (that can be seen)...gives one the feeling of floating, unlike normal diving.

The thing I notice the most is people loosing track of depth..as it is very easy to do.

Sticking reasonably close to a DM on the initial dives should fix that, and our Borg queen's suggestion is excellent, as are the "watch your buoyancy" suggestions.

Just be aware it can be wonderfully distracting on a good wall.

Enjoy, have fun, it is one of the great experiences in diving.

Bubble - you are dead on with getting away from the wall if there is an up or down current.

After 300ft it doesn't matter much including what you see! The last 2ft of any coral dive is the most important! Stay off the coral no matter how far down it is:wink: Your diving in water not on the wall, it is just something to look at!
P1010285_Gabriel_on_the_wall_spongs_VG_AC_PF8X11.jpg

I think it is only 2000ft to the bottom here! Have a great time your a SCUBA diver you control where you go!

Back
Top Bottom