Waning SCUBA Participation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am an old guy, and as such, grew up in the outdoor environment, enjoying everything the outdoors had to offer, and what I could afford. As a result, I learned to participate in, and love, a great number of sports, climbing, caving, diving, camping, hiking, etc. You get the idea. However, upcoming generations, including my grandchildren, grew up with computer games and reality TV rather than enjoying, and participating in, the great outdoors and actually doing real world activities. It is sad, but I do not think diving is ever going to be able to compete with computer games, at least in my lifetime, and most likely anytime in the future.

Also, the undersea world as presented on shows like Blue Planet, give an overly picturesque image of what people actually see when they dive deeper than the colors remain visible. For example my wife went from watching shows like Blue Planet, with the spectacular underwater colors, to shallow snorkeling in Cayman, to getting OW certified, then returning to dive the Cayman reef, only to be really disappointed to see mostly blue, green and brown at normal depths on typical dive trips. Now, her favorite memories are snorkeling 2 feet above the coral in Komodo, diving with the Mantas at Bora-Bora, or loitering over a colorful reef in very shallow water. I got hooked on diving watching black and white Sea Hunt, so the first time I dove in the ocean, it was in shallow water at Pennekamp, and I was mesmerized by the colors. I still loving diving, even if mostly what I see is blue, green and brown, partly because I know what it would look like if illuminated, and I like the structure almost as much as the color. However, if I show non-divers some color corrected photos or photos taken in sunlit shallow water on a beautiful reef, they say "Oh, I would love to see that", but show them photos taken at 60+ feet that are not color corrected, and the reaction is quite different. Their interest in diving goes way down when they understand what they will see most of the time underwater.

Since the city of Miami is going to wind up being a shallow shore dive in the future, maybe a science fiction story about future diving archeology would be cool, you know like after our species population crashes, a roving band of tech teens raids an ruined dive shop in Pompano and vintage dives the underwater cities that used to be Florida.

Agreed, the modern viewer is much more "plot savvy" then in the "good old days".

That is because we have seen the same old plots recycled over, and over, and over. It has gotten so redundant, TV show and movie creators' now have to regurgitate what we see and hear on the news. When I see the words TV/HBO/Netflix Original, I think "Oh yeah, BS."

there are so many retread shows on tv now mcgiver, Hawaii 50 etc why not sea hunt retread ? id love to see that.............if you think scuba is a drop out sport ,you should see sky diving

there are so many retread shows on tv now mcgiver, Hawaii 50 etc why not sea hunt retread ? id love to see that.............if you think scuba is a drop out sport ,you should see sky diving

Yes, now you could put the new Mike Nelson in a bp/w and SP Jet fins, and all the bad guys in jackets and split fins--or vice versa. Ha!

Today you could do one featuring a 3 way cage match with divers vs conservationist divers vs photographers.

The photographers wouldn't stand a chance, hovering very still trying to frame the perfect shot. My money is on the speros and NJ wreck divers.

Bob

would the nj guys be the baddies ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom