Waning SCUBA Participation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think finding ways to bring in new divers is an intriguing subject. I see many on here mentioning Sea Hunt. While I was not alive when it aired, I did watch all the reruns. Having said that, I think we would do better with a show like SeaQuest in this day and age.

In the age of reality TV there could be a show about a small dive shop in some remote location that focuses on people becoming DMs and instructors. Young ladies in bikinis, tanned and tattooed lads all frolicking about while learning to dive, teach and sharing their love of the undersea world! Filmed at a vacation dive destination it would also give you a revolving cast of new people. Of course there would likely be scripted drama (which I despise) but do we take the good with the bad in an effort to drive more young people towards the pastime or lifestyle that we love and believe to be necessary?

As for Blue Planet, I love the show but have to admit that my favorite parts are when they show how they filmed certain scenes and you get to see the divers in the water.

We as divers and conservationists can scream about the state of the oceans all day but, IMO, until we find a way to engage the younger generation not much will change.

I wonder how much crap we here on SB would be willing to tolerate in order to engage those youngsters. (that makes me sound 90 and like I am about to stab your football that came into my yard) Would we tolerate the scripted drama of reality TV or science fiction mixed with undersea adventures such as SeaQuest?

I would be curious to hear what people are willing to tolerate in a "grin and bear it" type fashion in order to keep this shared lifestyle and passion of ours alive.

Oh and thanks to the OP for this thread. Who knows, maybe we come up with the next big thing right here.

Last edited:
It seems the ocean/lakes/sealife have become something to look at rather than experience for many. It's a sad shift.

I know will never see all the BBC blue planet sites or witness all the behaviors they capture, but I will get wet in plenty of water, see some things first hand and that's satisfying in itself. Getting myself there and back again instead of becoming a spectator.

I miss the old action type dive videos... We could imagine ourselves characters in them instead of just looking on.

Regards,
Cameron

[QUOTE="....Would we tolerate the scripted drama of reality TV or science fiction mixed with undersea adventures such as SeaQuest?....."[/QUOTE]

As long as the diving is realistic and not like that junk we saw in the theater last year I can put up with a lot.

Recreational Activities?

SCUBA is in free fall in the USA. The number of shops is cratering. Shops have almost no resale value - they just close up, at huge cost to their owners. Lots of shops have closed and many more will follow. The direct to consumer model is growing - even SP is on the bandwagon. Want to know ‘bitter’? Talk to a SP dealer about the factory competition.

Whatever the sport - those that are fan boys lament the decline, when it occurs

Golf, tennis, skiing, all down - along with many others.

What’s hot? Fishing!

As for SCUBA, my contention is that ScubaPro is a proxy for the industry segment.

Take a look for yourself at

Johnson Outdoors Inc. - Financial Information

While the latest quarter shows their losses continuing, they are less than the previous year’s quarter. Small prize, losing money - just less.

USA = a declining market

Europe = twice the size of the USA scuba market

Asia = the sweet spot

JOUT spins off SP? Well, maybe - it would improve their financials. Maybe the inside dive folks at SP throw their money in the ring?

All you smart folks with good ideas to grow the dive biz? Well, throw your money in the ring and try your luck. All The Best to You.

All you smart folks with good ideas to grow the dive biz? Well, throw your money in the ring and try your luck. All The Best to You.

I do not want to infer tone via written communication but alas, we all do. This seems to be condescending and defeatist. Am I wrong in how you meant this? Not trying to be rude, just trying to ascertain your meaning.

Recreational Activities?

SCUBA is in free fall in the USA. The number of shops is cratering. Shops have almost no resale value - they just close up, at huge cost to their owners. Lots of shops have closed and many more will follow. The direct to consumer model is growing - even SP is on the bandwagon. Want to know ‘bitter’? Talk to a SP dealer about the factory competition.

Whatever the sport - those that are fan boys lament the decline, when it occurs

Golf, tennis, skiing, all down - along with many others.

What’s hot? Fishing!

As for SCUBA, my contention is that ScubaPro is a proxy for the industry segment.

Take a look for yourself at

Johnson Outdoors Inc. - Financial Information

While the latest quarter shows their losses continuing, they are less than the previous year’s quarter. Small prize, losing money - just less.

USA = a declining market

Europe = twice the size of the USA scuba market

Asia = the sweet spot

JOUT spins off SP? Well, maybe - it would improve their financials. Maybe the inside dive folks at SP throw their money in the ring?

Real new diver certifications declined over 10% in the latest cline report.

This decline has been going on for over 10 years.

It will continue.

I do not want to infer tone via written communication but alas, we all do. This seems to be condescending and defeatist. Am I wrong in how you meant this? Not trying to be rude, just trying to ascertain your meaning.

Real new diver certifications declined over 10% in the latest cline report.
This decline has been going on for over 10 years.
It will continue.

@ScubaWithTurk

Tone? I can't tell how you are listening. Just trying to stick with the facts. Rarely are you able to take dreams to the bank.

The FACTS are - the scuba biz in the USA is in decline and the decline is severe. The decline is reflected in the losses that Johnson Outdoors breaks out for their diving segment - ScubaPro. JOUT is a publicly traded company and their financials may be taken at face value. There are no other sources I know of that serve as a reliable proxy for the dive industry's health. Perhaps you have more reliable sources?

Me? I have a few friends in the scuba biz and they relate; 1- declining sales, 2- fewer customers, 3- profits turning to losses. All compounded by manufacturers entering the direct to consumer channel.

The industry - like golf and skiing - has lower participation, lower sales, decreased profitability. Notwithstanding this fact, some players within the industry will prosper.

It's easy to make suggestions as to what might make the industry more attractive to new participants - especially when a persons capital is not at risk.

We have a saying in the USA, 'whistling past the graveyard'.

In the USA, fewer - divers, shops, charters, companies - will ultimately equate to a better environment for those that are able to survive and prosper with few dollars spent in the scuba industry. Right now? Too many folks chasing too few dollars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom