Wanna go to Bonaire--Late Jan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water temp was 80 degrees at the surface and at 100 feet
Nice! Thanks for the tip...even warmer than I thought...

I realize there are other places that have 80 degree temps and good viz, but there is something about seeing soo many divers....everywhere u look, pickup trucks on the roads with scuba gear hanging out...it really is divers paradise. Keep in mind, these were my first ocean dives..coming from Chicago, where quarries and lakes are the thing with 5-20 foot viz.

To answer your question directly...YES yes and yes. I'm not sure what your diving experiences are or your background, but I'm beyond hooked on diving Bonaire.

I was hooked on diving before I left, but I'll never forget when I first saw the reef. It was right in front of Capt. Don's..we followed the rope they have there straight to the reef..and about 30 feet it started. I had that same feeling every dive..AWESOME
Sounds cool...I am a little bit skeptical, but I am sure I will be awe struck once I get there...

I kneeled on the bottom....you will see a bunch of garden eels on the sand....they will duck back in there holes when you arrive..its funny to see, but kneeling on the bottom i just looked at the reef in front of me and looked up at the surface...it was awesome..
*bonk* "kneeling on the bottom"? You know better than that...hehe.. :wink:

i noticed very few places to kneel on the bottom..i shoot video soo when I can..kneeling is best for me.

Also at that site...Manta Rays are known to frequent around the sandy bottom.

ok, time to leave for the day..i worked so hard today :/

later

jepuskar once bubbled...
Ok, im about to cry......

Hummmmm.... jepuskar it appears that you have a bad case of what is known as PBD (Post Bonaire Depression ). Guess I should have warned you about it, oh well, not too late to save O-ring from the same fate. It is a incurable condition that strikes all divers who enter the water around Bonaire. There is no cure and the only known way to get relief from the symptoms is to return to Bonaire as soon and as often as possible (remedy taken from BonaireTalk.com) Just reading about O-ring going is enough to get my PBD acting up.

The current water and air temps are on one of the webcams. Alice In Wonderland and Angel city are next to each other, my favorite dive one island as well. No problem kneeling there, nice sandy bottom.
While a 3mm is fine, we find that a beenie cap helps a lot. After 3 or 4 dives we start to get cool.

TRY THIS On a night dive, turn your lights off, keep swimming and look behind you after your eyes have adjusted some.....there will be a trail of bioluminance (SP?) behind you....looks like fairy dust from TinkerBell..It has to be the neatest thing I have seen while diving.

Herman, yes, I suffer from PBD. I am despising the Chicagoland area right now...its cold, windy, looking at the water makes me sick.

In order to please me inner soul, I have to go hop in my LDS pool. This is no way to live...there is waaay too much for me to explore and see in Bonaire. Every dive was a great dive, even if I didn't see any interesting creature. Just floating over the reef being really relaxed or upright against a wall peeking in between looking for stuff....my air consumption dropped dramatically while I was down there. Up here my buddy was atleast 500psi ahead of me, but down there we were equal. I was soo relaxed...my SI's were horrible. I didnt want to get out of the water.

arrghhhhhh

The video I took does not do it justice...you cant take in the whole surroundings through a little dome port, but I tried anyway.

I have already begun the initial planning of my extended trip. It is very doable, but im afraid im gonna be alone on this endeavor.

from now Pam and I will be diving there. It has been a full year since we were last there and I'm sitting herte in cold New England waiting.

If anyone from the boards is going to be down there during the week of 1/18-25 maybe we can get a dive in together. My favorite was karpata but there were 17 other dive sites that were a very close second. ( only got in 18 dives) This year I am hoping to increase that number a bit :)

livestodive once bubbled...
If anyone from the boards is going to be down there during the week of 1/18-25 maybe we can get a dive in together.

I'll be leaving Bonaire on the 18th... I'm there for the whole week before you. Would be interesting to meet a fellow New Englander in a faraway place. You should join NELD more often on our outings. There may be one this weekend or next... (maybe not necessarily for diving, but it should be fun nonetheless)

-Roman.

Jason,

Are you still trying to go to Bonaire at the end of January?

I desperately need a warm, tropical dive trip. I really wanted to go to Bonaire but then figured since it was all shore diving, I would definitely need a dive buddy. But don't know of anyone who can do a trip on such short notice. So, if things happen the way that I expect them to, stars are properly aligned, things are right with the universe etc., I want to do a week long dive trip sometime around the last 2 weeks of January. Maybe we could talk about being dive buddies. I guess its coming up pretty soon.... Yikes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom