Wanna stay down longgerrr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi it’s me, an scr diver that hasn’t abandoned it for ccr :)

Do you also have a single horn on your head and dance on rainbows?

So what CCR are you going to buy?

If you dive enough, get a rebreather and never look back. Everyone I know who switched to CCR never regret it and always wonder how they didn't switch sooner. I dive on average 1-2 times a week and I cannot see myself going back to open circuit. You open so many new possibilities and options...it's just incredible.

Hi it’s me, an scr diver that hasn’t abandoned it for ccr :)
weirdo :p

Do you also have a single horn on your head and dance on rainbows?

So what CCR are you going to buy?
Tell us why AJ should buy a CCR. I need to hear this :)

In the past century, deco diving was the norm for rec diving, such as the usage of twin tanks. I used twin tanks for the whole first-level diving course, and we were trained doing multiple deco stops on back gas.
For very deep and long dives, deco tanks were suspended to the deco bar under the boat (still filled with plain air).
I have seen the first single tanks, here in Italy only after 1980, when PADI landed here, promoting much shallower and shorter diving and we did ear for the first time of diving WITHIN the NDL, which was considered absurd during my first diving course, as too limiting.
Regarding safety: I did always think that planning dives with deco (with all the required safety precautions and redundant equipment) results to be much safer than planning a dive on the EDGE of NDL, risking to exceed it for any complication, and finding yourself not equipped for doing the necessary deco stops.

If you dive enough, get a rebreather and never look back. Everyone I know who switched to CCR never regret it and always wonder how they didn't switch sooner. I dive on average 1-2 times a week and I cannot see myself going back to open circuit. You open so many new possibilities and options...it's just incredible.
Well, I started diving on CC rebreathers, as at the times (mid-seventies) they were the most common SCUBA systems in use here in Italy. However they were terribly dangerous, and having to deal with the scrubber, the cleaning, etc., made them not very practical for people diving only for leisure a few dozens of dives per year. So I switched to OC, and never went back to CC. Then there is technical diving at high depth with helium mixtures, but that is an entirely different world.
For infrequent rec diving, a CC rebreather is simply overkilling for me (and for millions of rec divers worldwide).
The point is that, despite what some US-based agencies think, deco diving is perfectly within recreational limits. My recreational diving certification is for maximum depth of 50m, with a buddy and with deco stops not exceeding 9 meters for the first stop. I have no tech certification, nor I need it. Those limits are perfectly OK to be accomplished with my twin tank, two independent regs, and a decent rec computer (currently a basic and cheap Cressi Leonardo).

You still need to get through the Advanced Nitrox and deco procedures on OC to get any real benefit from a CCR.

You will need to sling bailouts with a rebreather, might as well get started slinging them OC as deco bottles.

You still need to get through the Advanced Nitrox and deco procedures on OC to get any real benefit from a CCR.

You will need to sling bailouts with a rebreather, might as well get started slinging them OC as deco bottles.
I do not think the OP has to "sling" anything. He has already a good twin backmounted tank. It is plenty enough for staying down some more time and then make some minutes of deco stops. I made hundreths of satisfying dives this way, with normal air and no fuss.
He is just suffering for the NDL limit, so he just needs to break that limit and extend the dive in deco region. It is nothing necessarily "technical", nor it requires significant modifications to his equipment. I think it is more a mental barrier, or perhaps lack of some training on deco stops, which can be easily filled with a couple of hours of theory and a couple of deco dives with an instructor.
Regarding the MOD/CNS limit, also here the old solution is ready and simple: just use air.
Easier to find, usually cheaper, you can fill the tank yourself with a small compressor. You can dive safely down to, say, 60 meters without significant risks (apart narcosis, but this is highly individual, and can even be fun).

I do not think the OP has to "sling" anything. He has already a good twin backmounted tank. It is plenty enough for staying down some more time and then make some minutes of deco stops. I made hundreths of satisfying dives this way, with normal air and no fuss.

Yes, sometimes I wonder if we divers have forgotten that an initial motivation for using oxygen as a deco gas was for accelerated decompression (at the 20 and 10 fsw deco stops). If you plan for your moderate-depth dive to exceed NDL by a few minutes, and, so, will face only a few minutes of deco at 20 and 10 fsw, why not simply deco on back gas (air or EANx), and forego the complication of slinging an oxygen deco cylinder?

For example, if your dive is planned on air for 130 fsw for 25 minutes (15 minutes beyond the 10 min NDL), you will incur only a 10 min stop at 10 fsw. Why not simply do the entire dive, including deco, on air? Do you really need the additional complication of slinging an oxygen deco bottle in an effort to reduce a 10 min deco obligation?

My first (YMCA/NAUI) scuba course (in 1986) actually discussed this type of simple deco. (However, we did NOT actually do such a dive for our open water practicum.)

rx7diver

Yes, sometimes I wonder if we divers have forgotten that an initial motivation for using oxygen as a deco gas was for accelerated decompression (at the 20 and 10 fsw deco stops). If you plan for your moderate-depth dive to exceed NDL by a few minutes, and, so, will face only a few minutes of deco at 20 and 10 fsw, why not simply deco on back gas (air or EANx), and forego the complication of slinging an oxygen deco cylinder?

For example, if your dive is planned on air for 130 fsw for 25 minutes (15 minutes beyond the 10 min NDL), you will incur only a 10 min stop at 10 fsw. Why not simply do the entire dive, including deco, on air? Do you really need the additional complication of slinging an oxygen deco bottle in an effort to reduce a 10 min deco obligation?

My first (YMCA/NAUI) scuba course (in 1986) actually discussed this type of simple deco. (However, we did NOT actually do such a dive for our open water practicum.)

rx7diver
But it's not only that(130fsw for 25min), it's also say 45min at 55 or 60fsw.

i WILL break the NDL barrier, it's just a matter of a rebreather or sling oxy bottles to push me across. And using EAN21 the whole time, I'm gonna need like twin 100s or something(currently on twin63s btw) and a damn long deco or deep stop....
thanks for all the input <TG>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom