Want a Spring Fling dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm working on the informational side of the idea. Unfortunately, DUI is not filled with their demo calendar for this year and may not release any info to me. I'm waiting for a phone call from a particular someone a little farther up the food chain than a customer service rep to see if I can get just 1 date to work with for Beaver (if they'll even be there next year).

I take it DUI dog days allows you to try out their suits? Will some people be using wet suits for the scubaboard spring fling dives? No chance I'll be getting a dry suit. Plus I'm a newbie.

Rosewater:
I take it DUI dog days allows you to try out their suits? Will some people be using wet suits for the scubaboard spring fling dives? No chance I'll be getting a dry suit. Plus I'm a newbie.

DUI DOG days is known as DUI Drysuit Owners Group rally. DUI sets up a pretty nice site with plenty of drysuits. During this event, interested certified divers (need not be drysuit certified) can not only be fitted for a drysuit, but can take a "test dive" with the DUI crew.

At Beaver lake this year, the folks from DUI allowed those who were drysuit certified to take a suit out w/o the DUI crew as long as they signed it out and paid their daily fee for the event. I was informed that IF you took the drysuit course and still needed the dives it was a great opportunity to get properly fitted and finish your cert. The event is driven from the perspective of brining in customers for drysuit purchases.

You're right about the reason behind the rally. IMO it's more fun than merely diving because you get to socialize with buddies, eat some good food, well it's good enough to fill you up IMO. Then you do some dives in various suits, you can try several different suits in the course of a day. They'll have a lecture on the repair and maintenance of the suits which can be useful.

Also on site was camera tryouts, they'd set you up with the gear to demo it and make a CD of the pictures you took during the event. That was a nice touch.

This year Terry and I dove the event a few times and then after that we crossed over to the bluffs on the other side of the dam and dove on our own in our own drysuits. It was an all day event, actually it's 2 days total and we dove the following morning on our own as well. C&J is just down the road for air fills and camping if you so need, C&J's not a bad shop by the way and often has good deals on gear. It's worth checking them out.

I'd suggest that anybody who wants to dive can do so regardless of their exposure protection, there were several that dove in their wetsuits during the rally and it's not restricted to drysuits. The water temps during that time of year aren't terrible, sure it's a a bit cool but with a good 7mm wetsuit you'd be fine. I think the temps during the rally this year were around 65 degree's. It was warm enough that even though the DUI suits flooded on me my undergarments kept me comfortable so I think a wetsuit is perfectly fine for the event.

IMO lake diving requires a 7mm wetsuit, hood and gloves regardless of the season. If you intend to go deeper than 30 feet that is. If you stay above that a 3mm would work fine, but for more fun a 7mm is more versatile and IMO required.

By the way, all that's required is the OW certification. Nothing says you need anything beyond that level for diving in a drysuit.

Finally have an update on DOG Days rally from DUI. The dates were to be released at DEMA. That said, I was informed that the calendar should be posted on their webpage somtime after 11/13 and we are welcome to post the date(s) that we desire to schedule gatherings at specific locales on scubaboard.

Once the calendar is posted on DUIs site, I'll see if anyone from admin is willing to make a sticky with the dates and locations. Rumor has it that the month for locations should be the same as 2006, but we'll have to wait to be sure.

I finally heard something a bit more solid from DUI. They are running into time conflict issues getting the dates for the DUI DOG Days Rally 2007. The dates were supposed to be ready for DEMA, but that did not happen.

It may be the first of the year before the dates are released. I'll keep on top of this for everyone as it's important to you as well as myself.

diverdown247:
I finally heard something a bit more solid from DUI. They are running into time conflict issues getting the dates for the DUI DOG Days Rally 2007. The dates were supposed to be ready for DEMA, but that did not happen.

It may be the first of the year before the dates are released. I'll keep on top of this for everyone as it's important to you as well as myself.
April 14 & 15 according to the DUI 2007 calendar.

http://www.dui-online.com/dog_events_07.html

Terry

ALRIGHT!! Here's the 2007 DUI DOG Days Rally dates!

March 10 PADI Americas, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Mar 31-Apr 1 Alabama Blue Water Adventures, Pelham, AL
April 14-15 Beaver Lake, Eureka Springs, AR
April 21-22 Windy Point, Austin, TX
May 5-6 Stagefort Park, Gloucester, MA
May 19-20 Dutch Springs, Bethlehem, PA
June 1-3 Gilboa Quarry, Findley, OH
June 9-10 Haigh Quarry, Kankakee, IL
June 16 Cuyana Country Mines Lake, Ironton, MN
Aug 18-19 Sand Harbor State Park, Lake Tahoe, NV
Aug 24-26 Oregon Coast Aquarium, Newport, OR
Sept 8-9 Seattle Area (Location TBA)
Sept 22-23 Lake Champlain, Burlington, VT
Sept 29-30 Brownstone Quarry, Portland, CT
Oct 5-7 Mermet Springs, Metropolis, IL
Oct 20-21 Lake Rawlings, Rawlings, VA
Nov 10-11 Manatee Springs, Chiefland, FL
Nov 17-18 Clear Springs Scuba Park, Terrell, TX

DUI's website for further information: http://www.dui-online.com/dog_events_07.html

I'll send a message to admin to have a sticky posted so that this information is available outside Midwest Muck.

I'm in. I already dive a Bare dry suit, so I don't know how DUI is going to frown at me, but I'll dive Beaver Lake ANY time anyone wants to go out! Keep me updated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom