Want advices on a simple system, RX100ii or LX7 or XZ2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy2667

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My wife got the Oly E -PM1 package deal last year and assembled a system with BW marco diapoter and a single Inon Z240. It is quite good for marco or close up photo but a bit lacking for wide angle and video.

Her system is quite easy and fun to use but a bit bulky. In view of the underwater photography fun, I want to get a simple system for myself mainly for
- Taking still pictures mostly marco
- Occassionally some wide photo shots and some causal video, this can supplement the EPM1 system also.

I want the system as simple as possible. Easy to use is essential as I am a newbie for photo and video. Originally thought about gopro but now want to go for a higher end compact P&S system.Now am considering the following systems:

1. Sony RX100ii
Nauticam housing, a macro diapoter and a wetmate(or Inon H100),
My concern is the out of the box close up capability of the Sony. If we need to always stick a diapoter to the Sony, the make the system a bit clumsy.Need to remove the diapotor from time to time when not taking macro. Also the price will be a bit higher. However, the compactness of the Sony is good for travelling and on land use by me.

2. Panasonic LX7
Nauticam housing witb wetmate. Add a macro less later
This is a simple set up. Can I leave the wetmate on the camera and take macro? If yes. This is a really simple and easy to use system. The only down side is that the bulkier LX7 is a minus for my land use and travelling. The lens cap is also annoying.

3. Olympus XZ2
Olympus housing plus wetmate. Add macro diapoter later.
This is similar to the LX7 system but need less money for the initial set up. The other concern is that I have seen comment that the video quality of the XZ2 is not good. How does it compare with the LX7 with th wetmate? I do note requite the top quality video performance. Decent quality is good enough.

I appreciate your advices, opinions and inputs.

Thanks

Wetmate is not wide enough for the 28mm equivalent of the Sony and the olympus. The set up that corresponds more to your requirements is the lx7 and on land that is the most feature rich camera. The rx100 is a great camera but accessory hungry. Xz2 cheapest of the lot in oem housing but video is as bad as your current

Wetmate is not wide enough for the 28mm equivalent of the Sony and the olympus. The set up that corresponds more to your requirements is the lx7 and on land that is the most feature rich camera. The rx100 is a great camera but accessory hungry. Xz2 cheapest of the lot in oem housing but video is as bad as your current

Hi Interceptor121,

Thank you for the advices. I have read some of your articles in your blog. They are excellent informations!

I have been seriously considering either the RX100ii or the LX7. Always lean towards the RX100ii as it is a more compact camera suitable for my travelling needs such as bring it as a handy camera for skiing. It is also a camera with better reviews. However, after reviewing my requirements and the preference toward simplicity, I always look back to reconsider the LX7 and try to pursuade myself to get the LX7.

Surely, for on land use, the LX7 is more suitable for me. For underwater, it may be the LX7 as the RX100ii is lacking in the out of box close up performance.

The price difference between these two cameras seems not be a significant consideration factor since the Housing price and the money for future wet lens purchase....and other accessories plays a more important role.

Is it ok to use the LX7 to take close up or macro pictures without removing the wetmate?

I am thinking to get the LX7 in Nauticam Housing and add the wetmate , video lights as my initial set up. Add a marcro lens later if it is necessary.

But the RX100ii set up always pull me out from the above and drive me to wanting get the RX100ii with Inon wide lens ans maceo lens if it is that inconveniemce to the macro with diapoteror swap the diapoter.

The LX7 does well out of the box for general use. The RX100 needs almost immediately a close up lens and the bare port is not wide enough.
If you have budget the RX100 with a full set of lenses is unbeatable but if not the LX7 is simpler to use and requires less add ons. On land I prefer shooting the LX7 to the RX100 as it has much better shooting options even a time lapse.
There are always compromises so you need to see if you are prepared to invest in lenses and strobes as much as the RX100 requires

Hi Interceptor121,

Thank you for the advices. I have read some of your articles in your blog. They are excellent informations!

I have been seriously considering either the RX100ii or the LX7. Always leans towards the RX100ii as it is a more compact camera suitable for my travelling needs such as bring it as a handy camera for skiing. It is also a camera with better reviews. However, after reviewing my requirements and the preference toward simplicity, I always look back to reconsider the LX7 and try to pursuade myself t get the LX7.

Surely, fir on land use, the LX7 is more suitable for me. For inderwater, it may be the LX7 as the RX100ii is lacking in the out of box close up performance.

The price difference between these two cameras seems not be a significant consideration factor since the Housing price and the money for future wet lens purchase....and other accessories plays a more important role.

Is it ok to use the LX7 to take close up or macro pictures without removing the wetmate?

I am thinking ti fet the LX7 in Nauticam Housing and ad d the wetmate , video lights as my initial set up. Add a marcro lens later lif it is necessary.

But the RX100ii set up always pull me out feom the above and deive me to wanting get the RX100ii with Inon wide lens ans maceo lens if it is that inconveniemce to the macro with diapoteror swap the diapoter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom