Want to Learn to Dive; Virginia Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vlawgurioli

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey all,

My wife and I are looking to take Scuba lessons in the Hampton Roads, Va region. Where is the best place?? Lynhaven Dive Center? Dive Quarters? Divers Unlimited? We are total newbies so we want someone that knows what theyre doing and are friendly and helpful ( no dive snobs).

Any thoughts?

I would suggest that you interview instructors from each facility and then determine which program and instructor you think will provide the most in-depth training. Put together a list of questions about the class content and the instructor's teaching philosophy. Do some research on this board to put that list together and don't just go to a dive shop and put your money on the table. That, in my opinion, is like playing craps. The instructor you will be hiring is training you in a sport that can, if you are improperly trained, be very risky. I am not an instructor, but there are a lot of them on this board. Look around the board, ask more questions, send some PMs. Then go interview the instructors and pick one based on the class content and the instructor personality, knowledge, and experience. If an instructor is not interested in being interviewed, you should not be interested in hiring that person.

My husband did his OW through Lynnhaven and said it was a good experience. I've done my OW, AOW, Nitrox, and Rescue with Dive Quarters and all of the courses have been really great. I've only worked with Matt and Mark at DQ but they provided great training both in the classroom and the water and were always willing to answer any questions I had.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think interviewing the instructors is a good idea. Not too sure what I'd ask though other than really general questions. Did any of you take lessons by yourself (ie not with a spouse or friend)? I ask because i might have to do this solo, my wife isnt really that interested and my friends are all not water people, or just broke and lazy. Would this be no fun to do by yourself? Its something i really want to do though

I did my ow many (24 yrs) moons ago solo. I was supposed to go with another freind of mine but he backed out. I really wanted to dive so I went by myself and buddied up with the instructor for my ocean dives in San Carlos, Mx.

I would HIGHLY recommend you doing it, if it is something you have always wanted to do. There are pleanty of guys to dive with on most trips. I will dive with you once you have your certification. I know how you feel!!:D The toughest part about first steps are just taking the first step.

Warning: Diving VB is not what most people picture when they think of diving. It is cold and green water. But it is what we have and I love it. The wrecks are awesome and the sea life is spectacular. Plus its nice bringing home a few lobster for dinner and surprising the wifey. :D

To get the warm blue stuff 99% of the population think of when they hear about diving, you have to drive south a few hours.

Hell I would dive solo in a bathtub breathing with a straw, if it was the only means of blowing bubbles.:dork2:

Thanks everyone for the input. I think interviewing the instructors is a good idea. Not too sure what I'd ask though other than really general questions. Did any of you take lessons by yourself (ie not with a spouse or friend)? I ask because i might have to do this solo, my wife isnt really that interested and my friends are all not water people, or just broke and lazy. Would this be no fun to do by yourself? Its something i really want to do though

PM Sent with questions to ask.

Dennis,

wow, thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough answer. I will print this out and grill the instructors, then i will know if they are worthy.

Randy,
Thanks for the encouragement, and maybe I will take you up on that offer sometime. As for VB diving: I don't care about green water, but is there any visibility? I know that when i go to the beach, i can hardly see more than 1 foot in the water! What kind of sealife have you seen in this area?

You may wish to consider Chesapeake Bay Diving center in Portsmouth VA. Very personalized instruction.

As Dennis has pointed out to you, interview the instructors, ask questions, and go with whom you feel most comfortable with.

CBD has a great staff. We dove with a bunch of them last year down in morehead.

Randy,
Thanks for the encouragement, and maybe I will take you up on that offer sometime. As for VB diving: I don't care about green water, but is there any visibility? I know that when i go to the beach, i can hardly see more than 1 foot in the water! What kind of sealife have you seen in this area?

Vis from what little I have seen in the last couple of years diving here can be 5-10 ft up to 40 ft+. I have heard guys talk about 80-100' vis in past years. As for sea life you can expect almost anything. Shark, rays, turtles, jellies, tons of bioluminesence (sp) which is cool to watch while hanging on the line, and all kinds of little, big and HUGE fish.

Get certified and get wet!:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom