Want to plan a Florida vacation - Gulf coast or East coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyscience

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So I'd like to plan an upcoming Florida vacation for the family. I'd like to do at least some really good snorkeling, it not scuba diving as well.

But what coast of Florida is best for this, Gulf or East coast? I know the Gulf seems to have bluer, prettier water doesn't it?

Also looking for a moderately priced area and flexible on the time of year as long as the water is still warm and good deals on hotels etc are to be had.

Suggestions?

If you want to snorkel, come on down to the Keys. We have the best snorkeling by far. It's legendary.

But the keys are a lot more expensive compared to say Ft Lauderdale aren't they?

I can offer my opinion on the Tampa Bay Area and South Florida... The snorkeling and diving is going to have a much higher probability of better viz in South Florida. Diving here in the Gulf off TB is hit or miss when it comes to viz. Snorkeling is going to be limited to a few places like Fred Howard Park, for example. We do have some awesome reefs and wrecks, but to insure a good dive/snorkel vacation South Florida is definitely going to have us beat.

Now we do have some advantages, there's a reason why our beaches are constantly named the best in the US, because they are. Places like Caladesi Island are beautiful with white sugar sand beaches basically untouched by humans. All of our beaches are geared toward families, so there's lot to do other than diving. Clearwater Beach always has free entertainment on the weekends. Many of the other beaches south of Clearwater (Maderia, Indian Rocks, etc.) have a lot of things to do as well. St. Pete Beach just opened the Guy Harvey Outpost there and that is a lot of fun. Busch Gardens over in Tampa is a nice treat too. All of that is available to you at very reasonable rates. Whereas South Florida you're going to expect to pay a premium.

If diving/snorkeling is going to be the main attraction for your vacation I would head down to South Florida. If you're ok with mediocre diving/snorkeling but a lot of family fun where you can stretch a dollar, give Tampa Bay a look. I can't really speak for other areas along the Gulf coast, so perhaps others will chime in.

Last edited:
Hmm. I think I'm leaning more towards southern florida now then for better snorkeling. Obviously we would only snorkel a couple hours a day at most, so we would need other things the rest of the day to keep us entertained.

Is there other good family oriented places in souther Florida worth considering that has other attractions we could do throughout the day/week that we stay?

I assume the keys are going to be the most expensive to stay?

What other places would be more moderately priced but still offer pretty good diving? What about Fort Lauderdale or West Palm beach? I'd probably want to avoid miami since it's more of a family trip.

There is no good snorkeling in SW Florida... It is shallow and muddy.. Keys or southeast Florida from West palm beach to the south...

Keys are great, if you go in the summer, hotel prices are cheaper. There are many local cheap hotels if your not too picky like the Hungry Pelican or the Key West Inn (located in Key Largo). Pompano is also pretty good for snorkeling and very good for diving. Lauderdale by the Sea is also a good location

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom