Wanting to get first backplate and wing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. That was Patrick Duffy OF Dallas.

For all those who have the Dive Rite plate and Oxycheq wing do you use a STA or is the roll controll wing all I need? I noticed Splitlip said he uses a STA. Is this a personal pref. or wiil I need one?

I am a new diver. I have about 5 dives on my DiveRite AL BP/OxyCheq Wing with Dive Rite webbing and crotch strap - see here BackPlate and Wing Package reviews and discounts, Dive Rite .

I did not get the STA and I do not appear to need it. Those cam straps are wicked - I did not feel the tank budge. However, I would add at least one sex bolt (aka book screw) to the setup for the following reason:

Your trim is affected by the gear placement on your back. The BP position is set by your webbing and crotch strap. The tank position is up to you - cinch it in wherever works for your. However, the OxyCheq Wing has slots that are a fair bit wider than the cam bands. Once you have a tank cinched in that doesn't matter as the tank keeps the wing from moving. During tank swaps the wing can slide up or down by about an inch or so if you don't use an STA - that can have a small effect on your trim. If you use a sex bolt to fasten the wing to your plate it will prevent this from happening. I just went to the hardware store and bought a stainless steel nut and bolt. I put the nut inwards, facing my spine, and sawed the bolt down to length with a hacksaw.

Thank you to all the kind people who gave me very helpful advice for my new rig.

I was thinking of getting a Diverite SS backplate and standard harness with a Oxycheq wing with roll control. Will this make me a good rig? Thanks in advance.
Excellent gear, good choices. But there's other great gear out there, as has been mentioned. For example: I'm seriously looking at a HOG wing and HOG SS backplate.

I just got a Hog 32lb wing for cheap off of someone over at CDF. Really looking forward to getting some dives in on it. If my deal for a diverite plate falls through, I'll also be getting a Hog plate as well.

I'm going to be all Hog! Gonna get their D1 1st and 2nd stages too for my new reg set!

For all those who have the Dive Rite plate and Oxycheq wing do you use a STA or is the roll controll wing all I need? I noticed Splitlip said he uses a STA. Is this a personal pref. or wiil I need one?

I use a DR plate (S/S) with an oxycheq 30lb wing. The slots align perfectly and a STA is not needed, so I don't use one.

It is a very good setup that I can only recommend to anyone!

Excellent gear, good choices. But there's other great gear out there, as has been mentioned. For example: I'm seriously looking at a HOG wing and HOG SS backplate.
They do look good and priced decent to boot. Did ya notice the 38# wing pricing? I got a kick out of it.
List price: $249.99
Our price: $249.95
Now there's a price break. :D

That's the HOG company website.:D

I just bought the package deal with the Mach V from these guys and have no complaints.

AL back plate w/ Oxycheq Hog Harness & Oxycheq Mach V wing [DROCpkg] - $375.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

I do not use a STA and do not seem to need one. The tank does not budge a bit with the cam straps provided in that package.

I went ahead and upgraded to the SS plate, which is a dive-rite clone I believe, and all the slots line up just fine between it and the wing.

I guess there are a few folks that do not like the customer service from oxycheq or the guys I bought my rig from. While I can't speak for the manufacturer, the shop (linked above) I bought my stuff from has been very friendly, informative, helpful, and competitively priced thus far...

Same rig I got, no STA needed with my HP 100.....very happy with it and the customer service from Cave Adventurers.

c

They do look good and priced decent to boot. Did ya notice the 38# wing pricing? I got a kick out of it.
List price: $249.99
Our price: $249.95
Now there's a price break. :D

That's the HOG company website.:D

As Thal pointed out, that's the HOG website. They do sell direct, but in order to not undercut (or price compete) with their authorized dealers, the stuff on their site is more MSRP priced.

most dealers have that 32pount wing that's shown for $249 for example around $199 MAP price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom