Wanting to get first backplate and wing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a good setup to me.

Halocline, do you have a link to that thread between Patrick and Tobin? Sounds like good reading!

Thanks Irishsquid I can always depend on you. And thanks to all of the other good people on the board. At this time it is looking I will be going with the Diverite stainless backplate with the Diverite basic harness with 2 in crotch strap. I am going to get the Oxycheq wing in time.

If you're buying new, and know what wing you want know.... buying them all together as a "package deal", you can get much better prices.

why? when sold as a package, dealers sell more items for more $$$ and can discount more. It also allows them to "skate" the issue of "per items MAP pricing" and sell/advertise them cheaper.

several dealers have a package of a basic hog harness, steel plate, a choice of a couple wings, etc for the $350-$399 range. Plus several add on options.

but compare that to the "advertised price" of basic Dive Rite wings (as an example) of starting price of $350 bucks.

so what I'm saying is, for just a small amount more, you can get the wing with it as a "package deal" to start with. Makes a LOT more sense to buy it now if you know what you want.

For all those who have the Dive Rite plate and Oxycheq wing do you use a STA or is the roll controll wing all I need? I noticed Splitlip said he uses a STA. Is this a personal pref. or wiil I need one?

This might be the thread :
Horseshoe v Donut

LOL.

The thread that gave us the Mach V if I'm not mistaken.

Somebody told Patrick Duffy of Oxycheq that it was not possible to make a narrow donut with a zippered outer shell. So he made the MV prototype and the rest is history. Turned out to be a darned good wing.

For all those who have the Dive Rite plate and Oxycheq wing do you use a STA or is the roll controll wing all I need? I noticed Splitlip said he uses a STA. Is this a personal pref. or wiil I need one?

My STA is not weighted. It is only about an 1/8" thick. It keeps the entire package together for me and makes it easier to move my rig from cylinder to cylinder when boat diving.
Also keeps my trim weights from making the straps flop around when off the cylinder.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 110
Yea, it was an interesting read. I have a Mach V in my closet, but I had no idea that it was inspired by a scubaboard debate.

I just bought the package deal with the Mach V from these guys and have no complaints.

AL back plate w/ Oxycheq Hog Harness & Oxycheq Mach V wing [DROCpkg] - $375.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

I do not use a STA and do not seem to need one. The tank does not budge a bit with the cam straps provided in that package.

I went ahead and upgraded to the SS plate, which is a dive-rite clone I believe, and all the slots line up just fine between it and the wing.

I guess there are a few folks that do not like the customer service from oxycheq or the guys I bought my rig from. While I can't speak for the manufacturer, the shop (linked above) I bought my stuff from has been very friendly, informative, helpful, and competitively priced thus far...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom