Warm, light, flexible drysuit for old guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stilldivin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm learning the older I get the harder it is to put on my drysuit and to stay warm. (I have a DUI CF200 with built in boots that are a pain to get into.) For under garments I wear a fleece and on top of that a DUI SF2 jumpsuit. I also have a old SPX thininslate VIII. The drysuit is warm enough if the water is 53 degrees or more, but if it's 51 degrees or lower I get cold. I'm 66, 5'10' and 197 pounds. What does not help is I have pain issues and if it's cold outside to begin with I get cold too fast. The last dive it was 38 degrees outside and the water was 51. For the first time I cramped up a bit but the biggest problem was later when I really cramped up. I'm about to give up winter diving until I figure out what to do. I would like to get a lighter, warmer drysuit that's easier to put on, maybe with built in socks instead of boots. I'd like to keep the cost as low as possible due to my budget but realize a good drysuit may cost some $$$.

Last edited:
I love my built in socks, instead of books.

You might look into the USIA Techniflex. $1400 base price. Extra $50 for neoprene socks.

You might also check out the outlet section on DUI's website. I see there are several mens suits on there now.

have you considered having the boots swapped for socks which is pretty cheap, and then investing in a heated vest?
Heating Solution
$2k there will get you the vest controller, medium sized battery *good for 3 hours on high with the vest, and much longer on the lower settings, and trust me, with that vest you won't be on high for the whole time*, a top of the line vest, and the super sexy si-tech inflation valve. That's going to cost you about the same as a new drysuit, but will be much better for you. If you go to a light/flexible that means bag suit, which is going to have less insulation than the CF200 so you need more undergarments which need to be added to the cost as well as make you less flexible than you are now

Hi Stilldivin. This is Kathy Long with DUI. A few months ago DUI announced the Yukon Drysuit. MSRP is 1499.00. YUKON DRYSUIT In case you are interested. I also like Marie13's suggestion on our Outlet. You can view these drysuits at cheap drysuits

With drysuit undergarments... they lose insulation over time. All that 'dryer lint' comes from clothing breaking down. It makes it thinner and that means cooler.

Hope you find that perfect combination!

Kathy

You can't have warm, flexible, and light very easily. The old saying....pick 2. Shell suits have no inherent warmth, right. Nor is the material very flexible usually. So, it's ALL undergarment, or undergarment + supplemental heating. More undergarment > more buoyancy > more lead to sink it=more weight to carry around. It may also interfere with flexibility. Heated undergarments will help reduce that but with the addition of cost and complexity.

A GOOD compressed neoprene suit will add warmth and some flexibility, but the inherent suit will weigh more. You really need drygloves and it is well worth considering a dry hood. Minimally you should get a VERY good, well fitting 10mm or so hood.

Personally I prefer boots, air can get to your feet and help keep them warm. They have to fit right to not have excess air. I dislike rockboots. Obviously that's a preference.

I'm happy w/ my Bare XCD2 compressed neo. Very flexible, fits well. Very easy to don/doff I love the attached boots on the bare. Slide in, slide out. No issues with extra air in the feet. I use Thermalfusion undies and nice thick Alpaca socks that a rellie brought back from Peru. I dive 37-39 deg water comfortably.
I had a Whites fusion with the laceup boots and being old, getting dressed got to be a workout fer sher.

I love my built in socks, instead of books.

You might look into the USIA Techniflex. $1400 base price. Extra $50 for neoprene socks.

You might also check out the outlet section on DUI's website. I see there are several mens suits on there now.
+1 on the Techniflex. USIA makes drysuits for the military and I'm very happy with the build quality on mine. Also +1 on the socks. HOG private labels the Techniflex, reach out to Jim Lapenta ( jimlap212@comcast.net) you might be pleasantly surprised what a full bespoke suit will cost

I've found that wearing thick hiking/hunting socks and dry gloves made a huge difference in how cold I got. My extremities always felt cold first and it made diving very uncomfortable. With warm toes and hands I rarely notice the water temps any longer.

I'm happy w/ my Bare XCD2 compressed neo....
I had a Whites fusion with the laceup boots and being old, getting dressed got to be a workout fer sher.
I dive a Fusion now and considering an XCS2. How would you compare the flexibility of the Bare to the Fusion in and out of the water?

I dive a Fusion now and considering an XCS2. How would you compare the flexibility of the Bare to the Fusion in and out of the water?

I'm a septuagenarian w\ both hips replaced and some shoulder issues. Decidedly less flexible than I used to be, even with yoga twice a week. YMMV.
The Fusion was a little more flexible than the Bare, but I couldn't reach the exhaust with more than a couple of fingers. I also wasn't happy with how much the zipper got stressed while putting it on, (wide shoulders?). Overall, donning was a pain compared to the Bare.
The neck tite ring was a PITA, but the biggest problem of all was the inability of anyone to solve the constant leaking problem....oh yes, not being able to reach and operate the dump properly seemed a bit risky.
In the water, I don't notice any less flexibility with the Bare compared to the Fusion. It feels kinda like a wetsuit.

Of the 3 Drysuits I've owned, I have give my Nexgen Pro the nod as the best overall. Easy off and on, never leaked, very light, very flexible, (until I gained enough weight that it effectively shortened it so much I couldn't bend enough to don my fins LOL), very inexpensive, dried very quickly, I wore it it the summer w/ just a t and shorts, as well as in 40 deg water with heavy undies
I do like the XCD2 though....a lot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom