Warm to Cold: Tips for making the transition between dive environments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only issue with Edmonds is that it is current sensitive. Cove 2 is not. We had a nice dive there this afternoon with vis at the I beams being 20+ feet or so. It got reduced as we ascended because of all the fresh water still dumping in from the Duwamish River.

If you don't want to buy dry suit then go for 7+7 mm - farmer john 7 mm plus a vest to put on - another 7mm with the hood. Take gloves 5 mm and boots with neoprene socks. That should be OK for such water. For me it's OK for appr. 45 minutes dive. Of course you will have to have more weights with all these neoprene.
But you should survive. As the law vis - well in Poland vis more than 4 meters is a miracle, so I'm used to law vis. At least the good thing is that I don't have to wear contact lenses - I can see that far without glasses anyway :D
As I'm also diving a lot in the warm waters of the Red Sea - I have two sets of wet suits - 5mm I use in the sea and two 7mm I use for local dives.
Mania

I made about 25-30 dives in a one-piece 7mm suit and 5mm hood/gloves when I first got to Seattle. If you're ok for the few moments after your suit floods you'll be fine for a dive in the Sound. I was extremely glad the day my dry-suit arrived though, by the end of my w/s diving I was eating a big bowl of chowder and barely surviving the second dive.

I second the recommendations on Alki, Cove 2 is a better dive than the tire reef any day of the week. The Alki Pipeline is a better dive than the tire reef as far as that goes. If you're going over to the island dive Keystone Jetty (since you say you're with an experienced sound diver, Keystone is a little current dependant). Keystone is MUCH better than langley.

Try wool socks inside your booties, wool keeps heat even when its wet. Warm feet make for much better dives.

I think one of the greatest challenges is dealing with your gear with limited mobility. You can't feel your gear as easily with thick gloves on. If I were you I would suggest doing some dives (even in FL) with the same gloves you will use in the cold water. This may help with the transition.

A wetsuit will work but you will be cold. You can buy a neoprene drysuit for just a bit more than you can buy a wetsuit and it would be worth every penny. I use the O'Neill neoprene drysuit and I like it. I was in a shop last week and they were selling them for $450 brand new. (I was having a zipper replaced for $160 - otherwise I would have bought a new one).

Cold water in the face for mask clearing will be new as well. On relatively warm days you heat up fast as soon as you get into your suit. This really needs to be just about the last step so you can get into the water fast to cool off.

--Matt

The clubs here in Ireland are affiliated with the French system, and they require divers to do 3 snorkels at the start of each season, before they do any dives.

I think it's a good idea to get people accustomed to the conditions and assess 'water fitness'. Is probably particularly useful for people who have no experience in that environment.

I have to agree with the others that Cove 2 would prob be your best bet. It is used by many instructors for classes because of of it's lack of currents and it's gentle slope, but there is still lot's and lot's to see at all depths. Plus, you've got plenty of facilities right there on site...bathrooms, shower to wash your gear, restaurant that serves hot chowder, etc.

While you'll probably enjoy your dives a lot more in a drysuit, you should be fine in a 7mm farmer john and 7mm jacket. Do bring lot's of hot water for before and after your dives as well as lot's of warm dry clothes for your SI.

I did 30-40 dives in the Sound with a wetsuit before getting a drysuit. While it was cold, it's not that bad until you get a drysuit, then you'll never dive up here in a wetsuit again. I did one wetsuit dive last year while my drysuit was being repaired and I kept asking my self during that dive how I ever did 40 dives in a wetsuit.

Welcome to the great Northwest! Like the others have noted practice your skills, including ascent and navigation. Understand living on a budget and keeping the better half happy, but get a drysuit and dry gloves as soon as you humanly can…

Kamala -

I came down the same path you did - certified in 88 degree, 30 foot water in Key
West, then I came back here and tried to dive in Puget sound. I think you are on the
right track by staying wet for awhile. I went straight into a drysuit, and I had such
an awful experience that it kept me out of diving in the NW for several years. Now I'm diving wet (a 6.5 farmer john combo) and I love NW diving! I'm diving wet once or twice a week up in Hood Canal and around Tacoma. I know everybody is telling you how awful it is diving wet here, but I just have to disagree. I find a wetsuit quite comfortable in 50 degree water (which is we have right now). It was just too much to deal with all at once, adding the drysuit in on top of the cold, poor vis, and high current. Just $.02 from a newbie coming from the same place you are.
Tim

Wow, lots of things to think about. Especially like the tips about throwing on some thick gloves while I'm down in KL to practice (partially because I independently thought of it on my own :), not bad to get some validation).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom