Warmer than Santi BZ400?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ:
It is, but if you put it under a BZ400 the combination can get stiff. Heating is the way to go imo. I like it very much.
Hmmm. The Santi heated vest seems like a way to go, especially since I already have the BZ400.

I get cold. Under my HOG/USIA drysuit, I used to use a Fourth Element SubX salopette/Ozone Jacket, which was pretty good, but switched to the Santi BZ400 because I wanted a simpler one-piece. I still get a little cold. Anything significantly warmer than that? Top choice is to try a Fourth Element Arctic top underneath the Santi. Electric heat is attractive, but really expensive.

Thanks.

A heated BZ400. It's expensive but being warm was worth it to me. I tried the heated vest but it wasn't enough for me.

The Arctic is not stiff. The Arctic Expedition is VERY thick and that felt stiff to me.

Sorry, I mean beyond the heated BZ400, didn't you need a battery and to modify the drysuit?

You need a large battery with E/O cable and a new inflator valve with cables running through. It's a DIY modification of the suit.

Sorry, I mean beyond the heated BZ400, didn't you need a battery and to modify the drysuit?

Yes, you're correct, battery and Santi Thermo valve inflator unit. All up it was around $1500 as I had to have the suit modified. The thermal valve is Apeks and my suit came with Sitech. In retrospect it was a silly amount of money to spend and to be honest last season I didn't even use the heat. I was freezing on initial dives, freaked out and went over overboard. I am now warm enough with a thicker base layer/s and the BZ400 alone.

Last edited:
Yes, you correct, battery and Santi Thermo valve inflator unit. All up it was around $1500 as I had to have the suit modified. The thermal valve is Apeks and my suit came with Sitech. In retrospect it was a silly amount of money to spend and to be honest last season I didn't even use the heat. I was freezing on initial dives, freaked out and went over overboard. I am now warm enough with a thicker base layer/s and the BZ400 alone.
Interesting. What base layer(s) did you wind up being happy with? I like the Hot Chillys thermal leggings I got, so I ordered their top to check out, as well as the Fourth Element Arctic top for over that base layer. I can return them if they don't seem like they'll work for me.

Currently using 4th Element Xerotherm base layer (top and bottoms) when it gets at it's coldest I add a merino top and leggings. A few things made a big difference, dry gloves but not wearing liners that were too thick. As counter intuitive as it might sound thinner liners were warmer. Same issue with socks, thinner was warmer. I'm guessing that too thick gloves and socks somewhat restricted both blood and air flow. When it's at it's coldest I add an additional KG of lead and add more air to my suit, this helps. I try to dump and add air as little as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom