Warmest semi-drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would look at a different drysuit or different undergarments first. You are introducing a lot of risk diving deep with neoprene due to suit compression and will likely not be able to shed much weight. With proper undergarments, or heated garments, you are much better off. UTD actually has a really good heated vest made by Exo and with some good polartec type garments you should be able to shed a considerable amount of weight.

I dive in Monterey as well and used an Aqualung SolaFx 8/7mm semi-dry before I got my drysuit. It worked well for the water temperatures but I'm putting it up for sale now. It's a MLL, in case you're in that size range and are interested in it.

I only need 2lb extra with my drysuit than I did with the SolaFx. I'm not familiar with the Cressi but I don't think you will drop as much weight as you think you will.

I wear a Henderson Thermoprene 7mm attached hood and love it.
I have only worn it to 45 degree water - but you still feel the cold but it is not unbearable. My son also wears a hooded vest under his and says it keeps him warmer... YMMV
I have not owned a drysuit so I can not comment on that portion.

I have a pinnacle 8/6mm semi-drysuit that I had a drysuit zipper put in. I'm even a bit cold in this, especially in my legs, so I'm not sure at my age I'd be warm enough in any semi-drysuit. The dry T Zip zipper in the Cressi is nice and it would seem they have caught on about a dry zipper, since most semi-drysuits have standard zippers that allow cold water through them.

I've been saying this a lot lately but I agree with tbone. I've had some hands on with the oneil 7 mm semi-drys and they are amazing, super stretch and I usually see steam coming off them after dives in 45 deg water.

I have a Henderson 8/7 that does a great job of limiting water ingress but I only wear it when it is around 60 degrees or above in the water AND the sun is out. This doesn't happen often. I prefer to dive a drysuit most of the time. With heavy undergarments, I use about 10 lbs more weight but I like being warm, and nothing beats being dry on those surface intervals.

I only dive once a trip now but still suspect I'd be cold in a semi-dry. I do use about the same extra weight when diving in my drysuit.
(I live about 1.25 hours from Monterey so I go often.)

The few nutty folks that used to dive here in Puget Sound mostly went with the O'Neil J- type which is a 7mm semi-dry with a built-in 5 or 7 mm core warmer. Probably the warmest of the wetsuits, but it takes longer to get into than a proper drysuit, and requires as much lead to sink. All that have continued to dive on a regular basis year-round have move on to drysuits.
I always bring my drysuit with me when I visit Monterrey around Xmas. It's so much more comfortable compared to the shivering folks I see in their wetsuits.

What kind of drysuit do you have and what undergarment are you diving?

As others said, you probably wont' shed as much weight as you think, and the drysuit will be your warmest and easiest to don/doff. Before you give up on the drysuit, let's see what you are wearing with it and if we can't fix that as it's a much better solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom