Warmest Underwear on the Market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is anyone diving with a set of DS underwear that they just love?

I currently dive with a set of Andys Undies (the gray wooly ones) that are OK, but, very bulky (espically with an EMS flleece over them), the main problem is my suit is a little to small so thy extra layers are really restriciting my movement.

So, I'm looking for a very, very warm - thin (non-bulkey) high peformance underwear. I'm tall and skinny and the water temp on my dive today was in the mid-30s so I need something to keep me warm (I have a white's shell suit, BTW).

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Try the electric underwear sold by DUI. That will keep you warm and toasty. Broke but warm!!!

I just use the USIA Isotherm III 400g. I like them a lot and would buy them again. They are fairly thick though.

Hallmac

One piece undies w/ just a t-shirt and swim shorts underneath...good in 36 degrees (tested just yesterday :) ). It's a one piece custom cut so it ain't droopy or bulky, etc...

Diving Concepts Stretch Thinsulate - super comfortable, excellent craftsmanship, but expensive

Weezle Undersuits from UK - super warm :D

Zeagle Polarfleeze - comfortable, set includes Long John, vest, Jacket & booties, good layering during warmer weather

I use those under a trilaminate suit that I dive 10 month (not during mid-July to mid-September)

Matt, you have the 300g right? Is that the thickest DC makes?

Doess anyone know how the DC stuff stacks up against the DUI underwear in terms of warmth and cost?

Do you guys think the DC is warmer than the comparable weezle underwear?

Thanks

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
Matt, you have the 300g right? Is that the thickest DC makes?

Yes. I have the TPS Thinsulate Extreme. To the best of my knowledge, this was the warmest undergarment that they make. Again, I was in 36 degrees with just the undergarment for thermal protection and felt fine.

-kkm

... my suit is a little too small ...
You hit on something there, you may want to get a drysuit that fits properly with adequate undies.
If you get an undergarment that'll keep you toasty diving water in the 30s, it most likely will be too warm for you when the water gets into the 50s & 60s, for sure.
Most folks get the best mileage out of getting a medium weight undergarment & adding a layer or 2 underneath as the water temps drop

I dive a DUI CF200 signature series (custom fit) and I use the Weezles in the winter time. THe coldest I have dove is 23 degrees for 26 minutes. We do a shorter drift dive in the winter. I only wear a t-shirt, a pair of tights and shorts. The tights help preserve a little heat when I'm not in the suit. The Weezles might seem a little bulky, but they compress very well. They also draw moisture away from your body if you do get a leak. The socks that they sell are god sent. I did a dive without them and after 10 minutes my feet felt like they were going to fall off.

gatorboy once bubbled...
THe coldest I have dove is 23 degrees for 26 minutes.

Were you in a block of ice? Sea water freezes around 28 degrees depending on salinity.

The Weezles might seem a little bulky, but they compress very well.

The problem is, compression = lost insulation.

I'm considering buying some softwear undies sometime soon. My 100g Thinsulate doesn't quite cut it in the middle of the winter.

If it wasn't for the current of the Niagara River it would be frozen. It's not normally that cold. The average temp. is 28 to 34 degrees this winter. We had a couple of really extreme days. This was when we had "ice coral" forming on the bottom of the river, but it didn't last too long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom