Warmest Wetsuit Available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the same problem. I purchased a 5ML Bare and it worked. I tried the Henderson hyper stretch, but it did not keep me as warm as the Bare.

Check out the Pinnacle Merino wool lined wet suits!!! TOASTY!!! Sometimes too toasty!

Opinions:

1) Henderson H2 7mm. I wore this down to 46F water diving. Did 3 long dives in 1 day with this suit at an average water temp of 52F. Great material but expensive.

2) The warmest wetsuit is a drysuit. Nothing keeps me warmer than my CF200 DUI.

Check out "Waterproof W1" suits. Their line of suits will have something right for you!!

I just did 4 dives in Monterey, CA this weekend with a Mares Flexa 8.6.5 suit. The water has been reported to be 50F. Along with a Pinnacle 7mm hooded vest, I didn't feel the cold in the slightest.The suit is regularly around $350, but I scored it from Leisurepro for $250 when they price matched another site.

I wanted to go with a Waterproof W1, but their suits seem sized small so a 2XL didn't fit me well at all.

Opinions:

1) Henderson H2 7mm. I wore this down to 46F water diving. Did 3 long dives in 1 day with this suit at an average water temp of 52F. Great material but expensive.

2) The warmest wetsuit is a drysuit. Nothing keeps me warmer than my CF200 DUI.

+1 for H2 7mm. Plenty warm even down to ~45°F water (puget sound) when layered with 3mm core warmer (Pinnacle Merino lined). Never tried full merino lined wetsuit, but Pinnacle makes them and the neoprene they use is the stretchable kind.

Szymon

Go check out the Pinnacle Merino series....extremely warm

I have the 5mm version of the Pinnacle Merino Elastiprene and I have worn it in waters with temps
in the low 50's and not felt the slightest chill. The lowest I have worn it was in 46F waters and I was chilled but not cold. The 7mm version I would say you could dip into the mid 30's before you got cold.

Keeping in mind that one persons warm suit, may be someone elses "doesn't work for me" suit, the general key factors are:

1. Fit. The better a suit fits the warmer it will be.

2. Material. Stretchy material makes if fit better, but compresses more a depth. So what makes it warmer shallow, makes it cold deep.

3. Your personal cold resistance.

4. The type of diving you are doing (active, swimming a lot, to taking pictures and not moving).

I've been in 38 degree water with an oneal j suit (no longer being mfg'ed) and been warm, and was cold this last week in 51 degree water (but was a lot deeper)...

Any semi-dry will be warmer than a standard suit, but with a standard suit you can wear a skin to make it a bit warmer, and with a semi-dry that does not work.

If I were to make a general recommendation, assuming the diving is not going to be that cold, would suggest the best fitting (and that will take some trying on to know) 5mm you can find.

Add nice boots, a hooded vest, some good 3mm gloves, and you should be covered for a fairly wide range.

The other option is a two piece 3mm, which is not as warm, but can be used in different combinations.

I just got back from BVI, where the water was 78...taking pictures, that is the full two piece three mil for me.. was warm, but any heavy swimming and I was too warm.

For the record, I own a lot of suits... Bare, Pinnacle and Henderson to name a few. Pinnacle happens to make a suit that is a near perfect fit for me, so I own three different thickness of Pinnacle. The wool does very little to actually keep you warmer, except slowing down water movement...nothing beats a good fit.

Back
Top Bottom