Warning about scuba diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deadweight...If you dive at the weekend you feel great until the following wednesday. [/QUOTE:
I have been calling this "Compression Therapy", I seem to get grumpy after a few day without "Compression Therapy"

Scubar:
I have been calling this "Compression Therapy", I seem to get grumpy after a few day without "Compression Therapy"

I prefer Do It Yourself Hyperbaric Medicine

Deadweight:
...Have taken this up and have completed PADI OW.
The warning is that your life will never be the same ever again.
...TV becomes boring, unless there's something dive related.
...You end up on scubaboard.
...If you dive at the weekend you feel great until the following wednesday.
...Monday morning at work you sit their smiling to yourself.
...You will meet more people from entirely different backgrounds than you ever did.
...You will wish you had done it years ago.
If you're thinking about it - do it.
Kind regards
Deadweight.

I will say , I am with you.. as I finally bit the bullet and spend $$ getting the equipment and getting certfied..

Although in my case my other hobbies seem duller now especially my car hobby lol.. ( although flying is still one of my favorites.. to bad that diving/flying are like doing polar opposites.. still love golf though so when I don't have a dive buddy I can always hit the golf course with my dad :) )

- Look out to window with whatever scenery and picture yourself rocking on the boat
- Have repetitive dreams about diving and wake up thinking I've seen this, that
- Usual holidays are not so appealing anymore, without diving in it
- The friends you like to see the most are divers.
- Diving-related movie attracts more, and you know what and what equipments they use.
- Start to think of unreasonable ways to fund your diving, such as selling half a liver etc.
- Cutting down gossip magazine budget to buy diving magazines.
- Neophere smell brings back those happy times.
- More than three quarter of internet usage is for scuba forum, scuba equipment, ebay for scuba equipment, scuba stories or to contact scuba friends and to tell friends about scuba.
- Strong feeling that working is just suface interval..

I could go on...

JdLag1:
This is the TRUTH! I find myself selling things I never thought I would get rid of so I can buy more dive gear!
Heard that...I actually allowed the thought of selling my motorcycle to cross my mind (I've had a bike since 1972). :shocked:

...you start buying books and watching documentaries on [insert anything underwater here]
...you consider hanging out at the LDS a night out with your friends

Deadweight:
...Have taken this up and have completed PADI OW.
The warning is that your life will never be the same ever again.
...TV becomes boring, unless there's something dive related.
...You end up on scubaboard.
...If you dive at the weekend you feel great until the following wednesday.
...Monday morning at work you sit their smiling to yourself.
...You will meet more people from entirely different backgrounds than you ever did.
...You will wish you had done it years ago.
If you're thinking about it - do it.
Kind regards
Deadweight.

Sometime early thurday you think to yourself, "Maybe I can work in a tank at lunch. You know that duck pond in the park is probably about 15' deep and surely 6-8" vis will allow me to see my SPG adequately." By 10:45 am you've called two buddies and spent most of the morning trying to talk them into joining you. they suggest a 12 step program.

You lay awake that night thinking about saturday morning's upcoming dive. Friday morning the shakes set in. You fill the sink with water and stick your head in, mask on, breathing through a snorkel. This makes the shakes worse. It's also the closest you get to bathing or brushing your teeth that day.

Friday morning you spend reading ScubaBoard. Even the threads about lift bags. you spend the lunch hour trying to convince a co-worker that they should get their OW cert. You are shaking almost uncontrollably by now. Friday afternoon is the longest afternoon of your life. Friday night, not only are you lying awake again, you are still shaking continuously. Your wife and baby have left for her mother's house. They may not come back. If they do, it will start cutting ino your bottom time. Again.

Saturday morning dawns. You've been at the rendevous point since 3am. Where are those guys? They show up at 10:30. Right at the agree to time. Quickly, you assembly your rig. The Works. You are standing completely outfitted, fins in hand. Hurry up guys!

The last thing you remember you are sinking below the surface. Aaaaaahhhhh... The white light streaming into the water. Your breathing growing louder in your ears. The reefs and wrecks float by. No sense of time. Tank after delicious tank.

It's monday morning. The alarm goes off. You awake with a smile on your face but realized you have been hemorraging money for the last two days. You are down to $8.26. It will have to last until you get paid on friday. A loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter and a gallon of milk. Should make it okay. You also realize that your wife is laying next to you. Apparently you are forgiven yet again. You have no idea why. You're grateful, though.

ZzzKing:
By 10:45 am you've called two buddies and spent most of the morning trying to talk them into joining you.

Hey ZZZ, let's hit CSSP this weekend. I just finished AOW and Nitrox and bought my steel 100HP, so that I could be qualified to dive 15ffw to a platform ahahha.

(seriously, let's go...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom