Warning!: Beware of threads condemning the use of ear plugs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_doug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Although it is valuable to know about bad experiences with a particular product, it is unfair to make the sweeping claim that earplugs are inherently bad. I used the vented proplugs during my cert dives (and my first few dives thereafter) because I hated wearing a hood but had ear pain in my right ear from the cold water rushing in. Since the vented proplugs I was using allowed water to trickle in I didn't get that pain (I honestly don't know if I would've finished my cert without them). I don't use them often anymore, but still use them on occassion. Note also, that the vented plugs are the only earplugs recommended for Scuba use; the nonvented plugs are for surface swimming, jetskiing etc.

Don't you think this post would have been better if made in the thread about the earplugs? Starting another thread seems significant overkill to me.

Don't you think this post would have been better if made in the thread about the earplugs? Starting another thread seems significant overkill to me.

I think there's a lot of people that will just read the OP's post and be scarred off by what the OP is saying, and not go through a bunch of pages to see what other people think. I don't think it's fair to Doc's earplugs that a " warning: don't use earplugs" thread exists. "I don't like earplugs"; fine. "I had a really bad experience with earplugs"; okay. But "warning: don't use earplugs" is way too excessive. I don't think this thread is "significant overkill", but if a moderator wants to delete it he/she can do so without any hard feelings from me.

I suppose wanting the water to slowly trickle into your ear canal and get warmed on the way is one reason to use vented ear plugs. At least the mechanism is clear. But what most people seem to want them for is to ease equalization. There is no reason to believe that they can accomplish that and no plausible mechanism whereby they might, in my opinion, but I remain open to persuasion.

I use ear plugs and nose plugs and have no problems clearing my ears or mask using the devices.

I use ear plugs and nose plugs and have no problems clearing my ears or mask using the devices.

But your mask fogs, possibly due to a jet of nasal air possibly caused by your nose plugs, and as you have suggested you spend your dive with water on your glass as a solution?

Beware of threads about other threads stating things that were in the other thread!!!! :d

Beware of people who reply to threads about threads stating things that were in the other thread!!!! :D

plugs
no plugs
plugs
no plugs
plugs
no plugs
plugs
no plugs
plugs
no plugs
plugs
no plugs