WARNING: Buying gear online, please be aware!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alo100

Reaction score
fdadf
Be careful of the on line shopping for your diving gear,
the buy and sell business model has a known fault which is not fixed.

Currently, I've brought a full face mask through eBay and Paypal, the seller has an id
of "midwestscubadiver", you can still see that he/she is still selling items online (eBay).
He/She has records of selling different types of product, including diving gear, all positive feedbacks throughout a year.
After the shipping was on its way, the company cotacted me via eBay, asking me to buy another full face maks with communication system, as well as other gears like backplate and wings.
When the item was sent, the person on the other side is asking what else they can help me to buy, then I was given a UPS to keep track, according to the record
it was sent out by a "OfficMaxXXX" company (could be fake), no item description, with a weight of 4 lb. I was skeptical about the whole situation and told them that I would contact them after I am satisfy since this was the 1st deal (my 1st time buying from them).

The item arrived, it was two rolls of Nylon strings.

I filed a request for the refund and report it to both eBay and Paypal.
In fact, in the current system (you won't quite see the whole thing, unless you start
the complaint with the transaction number) once the procedure was started, if eBay
recognized that your payment was done through Paypal, then they would fetch you
to Paypal. Then Paypal would let you go through the steps to continue the claim.
By this time, they would remind you that, if the case is the seller fault, the most you
can do for you is to pay you back with US $200, with $20 charge on the transaction to help you get this amount. i.e. you would be pay back at most $180 IF they can find out that the seller is cheating. By the mean time, the email header and the id of the seller would not be disclosed and the seller can continue his "deal" by using eBay and
Paypal. eBay would not continue to do anything about it (they've set up the system
so that you can do can take very limited step to get refund or make them do anything to the seller).

I was warned by my friends about the way Paypal policy to protect the sellers, even today Paypal have received the complaint, and complaints by many other people, their policy of refunding $180 is still acceptable for their business model.

The discount I have online was only about 30% compared to the suggested retail price, which is possible for a real retailer to offer. Next time when you item is over US $180 you may want to consider twice, even the seller has some good feedback (they can set up dummy buyers to make records).

Thank you for your attention!

You may have wanted to research the seller you are talking about before you ever bid on anything from him. If you noticed in his feedback, there are like 7 out of 13 sellers with 5 or less feedback ratings, and 5 of those only have 1 rating. This should have(in hindsight, sorry...) been a hint that he set up an eBay account, and had some other accounts that were created literally days before the auction, bid on his items so as to create false positive feedback. I am not saying it's your fault for being burned like you were, but I would have had red flags flying all over after checking his feedback.

I looked on ebay, and he's there all right, but I don't see any negative feedback from YOU after this transaction ?

D

thats sucks bro, the thought of people ripping other people off in ebay better yet thru paypal has never crossed my mind. thanks for giving me a reality check. hope you get that sucker!

Also please keep us informed on how you make out. This is also mail fraud possibly.

I get all my gear from a LDS. If there's a problem I know who they are and where to find them. They are small businesses trying to survive. Support your LDS.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any dive shop.

I too have had a bad experience with eBay, my saving grace was with my credit card company who guarentees against fraudulant activity. One call to them and my full purchase price was refunded. This was of course after going the normal route through eBay and Paypal.

Of course after doing this I did receive a not so nice email from Paypal but who cares when a company is not providing honest service! No longer will I support either company.

Did you try to contact the seller? I have been doing business on ebay for years, thousands of transactions both buying and selling. Most scams are very evident. I looked at the seller of your item and some of their auctions, they have an ebay store, lots of items listed, and their auctions are very well put together. At first look, it doesn't look like a scam. Could have been an honest mistake. If you have tried contacting them without a response, I would start worrying. If you haven't tried contacting them directly, you need to do so. Chances are "midwestscubadiver" is one part of a larger organization selling many other things. They probably have a UPS shipping account under another name (which I do as well) that they use for all their businesses. It could have been as simple as the wrong shipping label being put on your box and someone who ordered 2 rolls of string getting a scuba mask. Give them a chance to correct the mistake. If the don't, leave them some nasty feedback and file a complaint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom