Warning with Sony HC7 & 9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
Now many of you may know this but we learned the hard way.

Start of the second week of a 2 week Galapagos trip both of our cameras gave us a blue screen of death staying; "the video heads are dirty insert cleaning cassette". Of course we did not have one, tried everything but neither would record after that.

So get those cleaning cassettes.

So sorry to hear you had this problem!
That is one reason I am glad I moved away from tape. More than once I had problems with tapes not loading correctly, or heads being dirty, or tape not wanting to eject. Plus the hassle of changing tapes each day even though not full as I wanted to have plenty of tape for next dive...

I have had zero problems with my HD camcorder. Zero. The only negative I can find is that the files are very large, so editing is a bit more intense for any computer.

I had the blue screen on my HC-7 due to the tape compartment not seating properly (the C:32:11 error if memory serves me). Ended up buying a CX550V (flas memory system) which produces wonderful topside video... but found (despite claims in reviews and by manufacturers of aftermarket products for it) that it has no LANC capability even through the 10-pin port (according to a Sony tech).

I had the blue screen on my HC-7 due to the tape compartment not seating properly (the C:32:11 error if memory serves me). Ended up buying a CX550V (flas memory system) which produces wonderful topside video... but found (despite claims in reviews and by manufacturers of aftermarket products for it) that it has no LANC capability even through the 10-pin port (according to a Sony tech).
It that an issue with the camera or your (older) housing's LANC controller? I've read somewhere that there are differnet LANC protocol implementations. This post would seem to indicate that it does work:
I bought the second cable on the site you listed (from another vendor) since I didn't need the video out option and had no problem getting it to work on my cx550 and the housing I have. I only snorkel so I am using a Sony Marine Pack which has the LANC controls. It worked immediately and I didn't have to set any controls.

Now I'm wondering if it will work with my Amphibico housing which has a LANC controller. I was planning to buy a XR-550 and adapter cable soon. Time to call Amphibico...

Last edited:
Now many of you may know this but we learned the hard way.

Start of the second week of a 2 week Galapagos trip both of our cameras gave us a blue screen of death staying; "the video heads are dirty insert cleaning cassette". Of course we did not have one, tried everything but neither would record after that.

So get those cleaning cassettes.
Seems odd that both would fail at the same time. I wonder if it was humidity related?

Had same blue screen with my Sony HDR-HC3 - lucky it was a recording at home. Since then head tape cleaning "tape" is part of my "travel along stuff"

ok, you may think I am full of bs about a fix for some of the Sony "blue screen of death" issues and other error codes with the chip but this does work and I have done it several times while in remote areas. I have done this with perfect results on Sony vx2000, sony vx 21000, sony pc120 and my sony FX1 HD camera! It has always fixed my problem.......and sony does have a known problem with their chips.

Follow these steps....

1. Remove battery.

2. Start slapping the bottom of the camera with the palm of your hand!

3. Slap the side of the camera with the palm of your hand!

4 Insert battery.

5. Power on Camera.

6. Thank me. have a cerveza....:D

ok, you may think I am full of bs about a fix for some of the Sony "blue screen of death" issues and other error codes with the chip but this does work and I have done it several times while in remote areas. I have done this with perfect results on Sony vx2000, sony vx 21000, sony pc120 and my sony FX1 HD camera! It has always fixed my problem.......and sony does have a known problem with their chips.

Follow these steps....

1. Remove battery.

2. Start slapping the bottom of the camera with the palm of your hand!

3. Slap the side of the camera with the palm of your hand!

4 Insert battery.

5. Power on Camera.

6. Thank me. have a cerveza....:D

Yes, I saw these suggestions a number of times when I was researching ways to get my HC-7 working again. For some, these procedures did indeed work (and for several different Sony models).

In my case nothing worked. I guess I just didn't hit it hard enough before I sent it in to Sony to be repaired. This is the 3rd Sony camcorder (TRV-510, TRV-17 and HC-7) to have problems with the tape transport mechanism out of the seven that I own.

It that an issue with the camera or your (older) housing's LANC controller? I've read somewhere that there are differnet LANC protocol implementations. This post would seem to indicate that it does work:

I'll have to ask Backscatter about that. Just sent them an e-mail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom