Warranty for XStream Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool79

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, would like to check, is this fin covered by warranty?

after 1 dive trip, while i was cleaning my gears, i realised that the pivot point that was holding the strap was damaged.
Do refer to the picture below

IMG_1932[1].jpg

Hi there. I see where some of the plastic has rubbed or chaffed off. This is fairly natural as you have to hard pieces of plastic rubbing at a joint. If the post is not holding your buckle in place, and the strap is falling off, then I would suggest a warranty claim. However, the joints are usually very tight, and even if there was more plastic missing, the buckle would still stay firmly affixed. IMO without holding the fin in hand, this is normal and not noteworthy of a warranty claim.

I hope this helps.

Zak

Is there any place and I claim warranty in Singapore?

---------- Post Merged at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:32 AM ----------

is it common to have the plastic chaffed off at the joint? this is a top of the line fin, i am very surprised that this has happened.

Where did you buy the fins from? This is where you start. Just so you know, by looking at the picture I'm not sure this is a warranty claim. This is also why we don't try to repair, or suggest how to fix things over the internet, because pictures can be misleading or not show the entire issue. I'm just suggesting from this picture I don't see a big issue. You also didn't answer me, is the buckle still staying on the fin post? Did you switch out into different buckles.

You can find an authorized dealer at the www.mares.com homepage, find sales network, then work your way through to Singapore. I'm not familiar with our distribution in this area, so it's best you find it throuhg the website.

Zak

Hi, would like to check, is this fin covered by warranty?

after 1 dive trip, while i was cleaning my gears, i realised that the pivot point that was holding the strap was damaged.
Do refer to the picture below

View attachment 139571

This is pretty normal - mine did the exact same thing but it's basically just being worn in at this point. No reason to worry about this as my x-stream fins did the same (i use the mares bungee straps) but it will stop digging in after you dive with them a bit.

Where did you buy the fins from? This is where you start. Just so you know, by looking at the picture I'm not sure this is a warranty claim. This is also why we don't try to repair, or suggest how to fix things over the internet, because pictures can be misleading or not show the entire issue. I'm just suggesting from this picture I don't see a big issue. You also didn't answer me, is the buckle still staying on the fin post? Did you switch out into different buckles.

You can find an authorized dealer at the www.mares.com homepage, find sales network, then work your way through to Singapore. I'm not familiar with our distribution in this area, so it's best you find it throuhg the website.

Zak

the buckle still stay in place. when i was cleaning the fins, i saw part of the plastic was damaged, so i removed the buckle and saw the damage.
my friend bought it for me when he was in the states. So it would be impossible to sent it back to US. therefore i am asking if I can get it repaired in Singapore or claim for the warranty.

I can't tell from the picture, but doesn't look to me like anything needs to be repaired. Saying this because there was some 'excess' thermoplastic material wearing on the strap posts on my fins too. Noticed it after first couple of dives, and then no more after that. If your straps are still working as they should and remaining in place, within the designed parameters, what really is your concern? Why not take one (or both) of your fins down to a local dive op that sells Mares fins. Show them your concerns, discuss it face to face with someone that has the expertise to either explain why it is not a problem (or agree it is a problem). Mayhap all Mares fins with the special buckles system, have a little initial shave-off at the posts. I'm having a niggling memory of similar experience on my last set of Mares fins too; those had the older locking version of the ABS (never locked them). Anyone else have any experience in this regard? As to the new ABSPlus on my Xstreams, it took me a couple of times to realize how very simple they were to loosen. I'd been yarding and pulling way too hard and not in keeping with the very simplicity and soft touch required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom