Was I bent?? / my chamber experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba:
5. As for the toxing - Your PPO2 during the chamber ride, while breathing O2, is typically between 3 - 4 ata.

Unless thing have changed a whole lot in the last 5 years, most monoplace chambers only go to 30FSW, that's 2ata O2, and most treatments, even in multiplace chambers that use oxygen are at 60FSW, Nominally 3 ATA of O2.

adjuster-jd:
Basically a "glass coffin" style.. Here's a photo in this link.
http://www.svch.net/hyperbaric_medicine_center.asp
Is it just me or do you look like the doctor on the top of the page for the chamber advertisement? LOL!
Sounds like the chamber was the worst part of it all. Hope all is well now.

Yes, I was at 2.8 ATA - I'm guessing about 20-25 minutes into the treatment, which was supposed to be a table 5. I'm guessing as to the time since that's about when the air break would be due.
The air was supposed to be delivered via a mask in the chamber. Honestly, it felt like breathing from an out of air regulator. I just wasnt getting any air.. I'm sure I'll never know whether there was an equipment malfunction, but it sure didnt feel right..

As for my dives - I had about a 45 minute dive saturday night - it was cold since I didnt wear a hood - should have known better. About a 11-12 hour surface interval between saturday night and sunday morning. All dives except for first dive on Sunday were on air. The first dive Sunday was on 36%.
I was well-hydrated as it was a very warm day. No altitude involved. First dive was with a student who swam fast so it took a little bit to catch him at one point, but no real stress on any of the dives. We took our time on the surface to allow some offgassing before exiting the quarry.
As for symptoms - my hands were cold during the dive and were aching pretty much immediately after the dive - I didnt really notice much until about an hour or so later when we went to dinner since we were packing up gear, etc. Didnt really notice the muscle pain around my elbow until the next day.

I did have a follow-up conversation with the Doc who ran the chamber and he said I could dive with no problem. From talking to him it doesnt seem to think I was bent.

I am fine now - no symptoms except for some minor neck sprain/strain from the seizure, but that is resolving slowly as well..

Thanks for all the concern.

I'm glad it's resolving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom