Was I ripped off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kpleynes

Registered
Reaction score
I went to my dive shop to purchase gear for my first pool session today. The pool was a public indoor pool.
When I got there, I was asked to select my mask, snorkel, fins, and booties. That was ok.
Then the dive shop manager asked me to choose a wet suit -- becuase it normally got colder. I tried one, it fitted me so I purchased it. On my way home, I was thinking, if it was really necessary to purchase it because the pool water got cold, why did they just tell us during the first meeting, that all we needed to bring to the 1st pool session was a bathing suit?
She also told us that we needed to select a mesh bag. Of course, I really didn't know differently, and purchased it. They weren't cheap and probably cost 20.00 more than prices in the internet.
Do you think the dive shop manager was telling the truth when she said that we needed a mesh bag and wetsuit? Are these items really neceessary on your first pool session?

Well I guess my question is.... was the water cold? A wetsuit will always be useful down the road. You would have probably bought one eventually. Being cold is no fun. Multiple dives make that even worse. It take a long time for your body to warm between dives.

The bag... well, it's also something you want. Keeps your stuff in one place while traveling. Much better than throwing your stuff loose in the back of the car.

Did you get ripped off.... well I guess that's for you to decide. LDS prices are generally higher than online shops.

kpleynes once bubbled...
I went to my dive shop to purchase gear for my first pool session today. The pool was a public indoor pool.
When I got there, I was asked to select my mask, snorkel, fins, and booties. That was ok.
Then the dive shop manager asked me to choose a wet suit -- becuase it normally got colder. I tried one, it fitted me so I purchased it. On my way home, I was thinking, if it was really necessary to purchase it because the pool water got cold, why did they just tell us during the first meeting, that all we needed to bring to the 1st pool session was a bathing suit?
She also told us that we needed to select a mesh bag. Of course, I really didn't know differently, and purchased it. They weren't cheap and probably cost 20.00 more than prices in the internet.
Do you think the dive shop manager was telling the truth when she said that we needed a mesh bag and wetsuit? Are these items really neceessary on your first pool session?

Pools are chilly, especially when you're sitting in one for an hour or two. The wetsuit is generally necessary, but in my case the wetsuit rental for the pool was included in the class price.

As for the mesh bag, that's kinda dumb.

How much did you pay for the wetsuit, what kind is it, where do you live, and how much was the bag?

This, like all things, would tend to vary from shop to shop.

Our shop provides wet suit and a mesh bag to our students. And the shop I used to work with provided the wet suit, but no bag.

That said... however... unless you plan on quitting diving then you WILL need both a wet suit and gear bag, so it's not like the owner sold you something you wouldn't need and use. Of course, what kind of wet suit (thickness, etc.) you need would depend on the type of diving you would be doing.

I live in NJ and right now the temperature fluctuates between 85 to 95.
The wetsuit was a 3mm and it was for 139.99. I think the brand was BARE.
Is the wetsuit rental part of the class price -- I did not know that. If I did I wouldn't have bought this. She didn't even tell me that.
Oh well, at least these purchases I would really need eventually, so its not like I really wasted money.
I just spent more than I would have if I bought these online.

Look at it this way. You got to try the suit on first. You can't do that online, unless you know your size. Wetsuit sizes fluctuate a bit from brand to brand. Better to try it on first....same with mask and fins and boots. This way you didn't have to send something back because it didn't fit.

Fit is VERY important.

:)

kpleynes once bubbled...
I live in NJ and right now the temperature fluctuates between 85 to 95.
The wetsuit was a 3mm and it was for 139.99. I think the brand was BARE.
Is the wetsuit rental part of the class price -- I did not know that. If I did I wouldn't have bought this. She didn't even tell me that.
Oh well, at least these purchases I would really need eventually, so its not like I really wasted money.
I just spent more than I would have if I bought these online.

The rental was part of *my* class, obviously not yours though.

Here's the problem..

In NJ, you're not going to do much diving where a 3mm suit will be useful. I dunno what you're going to do for your OW dives.. they'll probably "suggest" you buy another suit for that.

I'd call up the LDS right now and ask what they expect you to do for exposure protection for the open water dives. If they want you to buy another wetsuit for it, return the one you have and pick up the one really want.

I didn't read the NJ part... Jon is right a 3mm is going to be pretty useless, unless it's a quarry or small lake in the dead of summer. Might want to exchange that 3 for a 6.5 at least

Agreed -- if you're going to be doing diving mostly in the NJ area then you're going to want at least a 5mm. OTOH -- if you plan to travel to the caribbean and such a good deal, I would keep the 3mm as you DO NOT want to be diving a 5mm in 80 water.

jmho

No one is getting rich selling Bare 3mm wetsuits for $140.

Still, unless you have a use for the suit, the money would be better spent on something that would support colder water diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom