Was I ripped off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grunzster once bubbled...
He absolutely was ripped off!

He is from NJ, therefore doing his open water dives at Dutch Springs most likely.

They sold him the suit to use for class, not because he told them he was going to be diving in a warmer location after getting certified.

NO ONE would be warm in a 3mil after hitting that 2nd thermocline at Dutch!

Unless they soaked the suit in gasoline and lit it on fire before getting in the water.

Speaking of Dutch Springs, they also told us that 3mil was ok as long as we had a hood and gloves. Has anyone dove in Dutch Springs on a 3mil wetsuit? I get cold easily and am thinking of investing in a 7mil for this dive but wasn't very sure if it would be worth it. I know I love diving and I know I will be diving in NJ and in the tropics.

I don't get that cold. I have a 7mil one piece, and I get a little cold somtimes below that 2nd thermocline. Most people at Dutch use a 2 piece 7 or dry suit.

If you get cold easily I'd get a 7mil 2 piece for Dutch. I've seen people in shorties there, but personally I think they're insane.

You may be allright in a 3 up to about 25' - 30' (the first thermocline) in the summer, I wouldn't do it though, especially since you said you get cold easilly.

My hood is a 7 and my gloves are 4.

You will be able to use the 3 in the tropics, though.

When buying Scuba equipment (or most anything) it is near impossible to get the best price, best service, and best selection.

You will have to sacrifice at least one of those.

Online, you may get the best price, you dont get the service.

At a dive shop, you may pay a bit more, but you get great service.

You just have to decide whats important.

-my $.02

Yea, if you had to buy a wetsuit for your pool work, you were taken advantaged of.

You are lucky that you live in NJ (don't say that often) since there are alot of dive shops within 1 hour drive of anyplace in jersey. Since you probalby have paid for your training, you should complete your training with this shop. Like most shops around here, they are going to charge you for your check out dives at the quarry separately. That may be a good time to get a referal and look at other shops. You shouldn't have to buy anything more than mask, fins & booties, and a snorkel to complete your training. Before buying any other gear (including life support stuff) my opinion is that you should try diving in NJ. If you don't like cold water & limited vis, you will find yourself only diving on vacation in warm water. The gear you purchase can / will be different based on the diving you do.

I think it depends on how you interpret what an instructor or what a sales person tells you to have.

I've noticed that when in serious discussion with instructors they will relate equipment with conditions of a dive: i.e. Lake Ontario in summer 7mm with an optional hood, in the fall dry suit or 7mm with a hood & gloves mandatory, take 2 lights, etc. Cozumel lycra or 3 mil..., etc.; cold water regs vrs. warm water regs...etc.

You should make a list ( some sites have them) of exactly what equipment you will need to purchase for what you want to dive or learn, and what the course includes.

For instance, I did not know that my NAUI card was not included in my course (extra $35 CAD). As well as an additional fee for an instructor to sign off ($25 CAD/dive) on the open water dives (6 x $50-$75 CAD), which were also not explained when I signed up (advance $200 CAD)....but I didn't ask ;-)

Simply put: if the sales person at a dive shop told you how much you could spend before you started diving, you would probably would not start diving!

That said, now that I have all the goodies, and invested in the training, I am having a great time in the sport.

Best advice: RENT EVERYTHING BUT BASICS UNTIL YOU DIVE FREQUENTLY

Some expense items for a list:

Wet suit
Hood
Gloves
BC
Console/computer
REG
Octo
Tanks, valves
Lights
Booties
Fins
Weights & Belt
Mask
Snorkel
Dive table charts
Knives

Naui Basic cost
Naui Basic book purchase
Naui Basic open water dive

Naui Advance cost
Naui Advance book purchase
Naui Advance open water dive
Naui Advance open water dive cert

Travel, accommodations and food for all open water dives

ScubaCanada once bubbled...
...You should make a list ( some sites have them) of exactly what equipment you will need to purchase for what you want to dive or learn, and what the course includes.

For instance, I did not know that my NAUI card was not included in my course (extra $35 CAD). As well as an additional fee for an instructor to sign off ($25 CAD/dive) on the open water dives (6 x $50-$75 CAD), which were also not explained when I signed up (advance $200 CAD)....but I didn't ask ;-) ...

Charging separately to sign off on the dive! Now that is a rip off, and they say PADI is money hungry, at least they don't charge to sign off on skills.

The instructor was paid to instruct, signing to verify that the instruction was done and the skill performed satisfactorily is part of the instruction IMHO! What a rip off.

My experience was different. Course $145, Rental of equipment (everything except the fins, mask and boots) for the entire course $40.00. Items I was required to purchase and told about up front: Mask, Fins, Boots (optional, yha, right, the water is 56 F degrees!). Boat $90.00 for 3 ocean dives (2 for certification and one as a certified diver for fun). Certification card, and all signatures in my book included in the price. But that was from PADI.

Yeh, the thing that bugs me is that they did not list the costs when I signed up for the course.

The training was good, and the instructors were knowledgeable and helpful. The equipment I purchased from them was good and competitively priced.

But.....:fishy::fishy:

Like many have said, the pool gets a little chilly after a bit. I wore a wet suit for my last couple of classes and felt much more comfortable.

Fit is important and that's hard to do over the internet.

The bag, well I guess you don't really need one. You could just use a hockey bag but you'll want something that breaths.

The guys at my LDS didn't sell me the suit or dive bag when picking up my stuff for certification, but I ended up going back there and getting them anyways.

Hi, everyone, I'm new to all of this and have been reading the post here. Does anyone out there know the word "NO". If you don't want something or don't understand why you need it, you have the option of saying "NO". Why blame a sales person when you can't say "NO'. Learn to ask questions and if you don't get a reasonable answer, don't be "bullied" into something you don't want. Take some responsibility yourself, ok. Sorry for the "speech" but people need to take responsibility for there actions. If you feel you were manipulated, then take iup with the BBB. Then next time "stand up for yourself"

ExoticOrchid

True you can say no
, but it's really easy for them to BS you, especially when you're a newbie and don't really know what you need

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom