Was I ripped off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Nitroxbabe 100%

To me no matter what is being sold as soon as I feel the sales person is pushing me to purchase, I'll procrastantate until he or she is tired of talking, then find another person to help me without the Buy now wont last attitude. So my question is what is the return policy? What if you find out you have clearing problems that prevents you from diving, will they take it back? For me the bottom line is until you're certified and had the oppertunity to rent various types of eqp. and see what suits you best I would not purchase. The 3 mil will work for your destination but until you've completed the class did you need it? All my classes I provide 7 mil wet suits yep 7mil for the pool work. We dive 7 mil for our check out dives so we dive same gear in the pool minus the hoods and gloves.

kpleynes once bubbled...
I went to my dive shop to purchase gear for my first pool session today. The pool was a public indoor pool.
When I got there, I was asked to select my mask, snorkel, fins, and booties. That was ok.
Then the dive shop manager asked me to choose a wet suit -- becuase it normally got colder. I tried one, it fitted me so I purchased it. On my way home, I was thinking, if it was really necessary to purchase it because the pool water got cold, why did they just tell us during the first meeting, that all we needed to bring to the 1st pool session was a bathing suit?
She also told us that we needed to select a mesh bag. Of course, I really didn't know differently, and purchased it. They weren't cheap and probably cost 20.00 more than prices in the internet.
Do you think the dive shop manager was telling the truth when she said that we needed a mesh bag and wetsuit? Are these items really neceessary on your first pool session?

Well that's a bit different question than your title, but I'd say that...

You are ripped off when you feel that you had your money taken from you by a false sales ploy and it makes you feel like someone stole something from you.

Do you need these for a first pool session? No, but as many have already said, they will eventualy become necessary (or at least a wanted item).

If I were you, I'd find another place to do business with, or at least go back and let them know how you felt (giving them a chance to rectify that and save you as a customer).

You got hosed.

1-What do you need a bag for when you have no gear yet?
2-Why not just give you a rental suit?
3-Are they going to tell you you need to buy a 7mil when you go to Dutch for your dives?

You'll probably buy the suit anyway, at some point, but why not sell you the right suit in the first place?

on the attitude/policy if the shop, you may want to return the 3mm.

However, here is another alternative. Layering.

You already have a 3mm, which will work well for Cozumel and like places. Buy another wetsuit, 3mm or 5mm of the Henderson Hyperstretch, Bare SGS, or other super-stretchy neoprene, to wear over your 3mm for cold water. Many of these types of wetsuits are available in varied thickness, i.e., 5mm in the torso, 3mm in the arms/legs. That would provide the extra insulation for keeping your core warmer without adding too much bulk in the arms/legs. You could end up with a 'system' that gives you 8mm total in the torso and 6mm in arms/legs, which should be plenty down to around 45 degrees.

You would definately wnat to try on the new wetsuit over your existing one so you get the proper fit.

Check out other shops. Talk with their staff. Be upfront and honest. Find a place you're comfortable with. Don't let yourself be pressured.

My LDS not only provided a heated pool but also wetsuits for anyone who wanted them. They monitored our reactions to the pool temps and would ask if we were comfortable during the class. If we got chilly, they had suits we could put on or they could adjust the pool temp.

We were never pressured at all to purchase wetsuits and actually were told that we might want to wait to make sure we liked diving and that we got what we needed for wherever we were going to dive.

There was a bad moment when they discovered that I had bought some of my basic gear elsewhere. I purchased an extra mesh bag to make them feel better. And it has come in very handy!:)

What if you hated diving. Your best bet would have been renting equipment until you got certified. Most of my diving has been in warm caribbean waters with a 3mm shorty. Just ordered a 7mm to try some diving in CT.

Cinjodi once bubbled...
My LDS not only provided a heated pool but also wetsuits for anyone who wanted them. They monitored our reactions to the pool temps and would ask if we were comfortable during the class. If we got chilly, they had suits we could put on or they could adjust the pool temp.

We were never pressured at all to purchase wetsuits and actually were told that we might want to wait to make sure we liked diving and that we got what we needed for wherever we were going to dive.

There was a bad moment when they discovered that I had bought some of my basic gear elsewhere. I purchased an extra mesh bag to make them feel better. And it has come in very handy!:)

Hi,
I normally shop around and try to look for the best deal, so I am sure that I wouldn't be purchasing a lot of my stuff from the dive shop -- especially after I realized that I was made to purchase something that I won't really be using that much immediately. (In response to a previous post, I never told them that we were going to dive in Cozumel, even if that was our plan. We were buying the wetsuit under their advise that we absolutely needed it during the pool session.)
Anyway, do we need to buy from the LDS? I was just curious because of what cinjodi said about 'a bad moment when they discovered that I had bought some of my basic gear elsewhere'?

kpleynes, this subject has been debated to death. Do a search for LDS and you are sure to find several long threads.

I will say that there is real value in establishing a good relationship with your LDS, and that it will pay off in the long run - especially if you intend to continue your diving education. That being said, some shops are more friendly and helpful than others. The online stores are great for some items, but awful for others (most complaints seem to be on big ticket items).

Best of luck,
Atticus

There's not a one size fits all in regards to thermal protection.

I would sug that you need to evaluate what your type of diving you will do most then make your purchases based on that need. As you grow in your diving and expand to other areas you will need to either rent or purchase additional thermal protection or be selective/limited in your diving.

From reading the posts I would say that your dive shop listen to you, then made a recomedation for you to purchase dive shop items that could be useful at a "normal" reasonable dive shop price. I would not say you were ripped off, but you can be more educated about the how's and why's in your purchase decisions.

He absolutely was ripped off!

He is from NJ, therefore doing his open water dives at Dutch Springs most likely.

They sold him the suit to use for class, not because he told them he was going to be diving in a warmer location after getting certified.

NO ONE would be warm in a 3mil after hitting that 2nd thermocline at Dutch!

Unless they soaked the suit in gasoline and lit it on fire before getting in the water.

Back
Top Bottom