Washington diver needs boat recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeahorseDeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a Washington drysuit diver coming to the Bay area in June with my non diver husband. I'm looking for boat recommendations for the Santa Cruz or Monterey area. (I really can't drive further south out of respect for my family) I enjoy boat diving frequently in Puget Sound often, am a seasoned diver and will be taking GUE Fundies this year, so my gear is configured thusly. I dive Catalina about every third year so Monterey has been on my bucket list for a long time. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

local GUE chapter uses Escapade mostly.. Beachhopper is pretty good too.

Escapade is fabulous. Jim is an incredible captain, and the 3D maps of the sites are amazing.

But I will also say that, if you can get Lobos reservations, you can do dives almost as amazing from shore there.

Thanks to both of you! Lynne I've done shore diving near Rancho Palos Verdes once (Malaga Cove). I had my rear handed to me trying to get through the the surf and my buddy too--she was a triathlete! Btw, that was before shoulder surgery.... That was a five mile hike back up the hill. --So I'd prefer boat diving however I know a lot of the charters don't go mid-week. Andrewy thankyou for a boat hookup that looks promising! We will be flying down June 20 and back on the 27. I think my choices will be June 23-24-25, and I'll be schlepping all my gear too. Bob and I travel with golf clubs and scuba gear...I wish he'd take up diving....

Lobos is a large gravel parking lot, with a boat launch ramp that you walk down (or inch down if you're paranoid like me) into the water. Even if you are late and get the last parking spaces, your walk will be no more than 100 feet. The cove is sheltered and rarely has any moving water, unless the wind and swell are perfectly aligned. The only issue is diving at very low tide, where the bottom of the ramp is slippery. I consider Lobos one of the easiest entries anywhere, if conditions are decent.

The other easy entry point in Monterey is at San Carlos Beach at the north end of Cannery Row. If you get there early (8:00 am), the water is usually pretty calm and there is a row of parking spots close to the short flight of stairs next to the breakwater. There are two dives here - along the breakwater, and the "Metridium Fields."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's safe to say a shore entry will be off of the options list as I have no car to gear up in, he will be dropping me off and taking the kids sightseeing. I just realized that even if I could figure a way around the car part....I don't have a tide chart for those locations and can surely use one!

Another option would be to hire a dive guide from one of the local shops. They will take you to the sites in their car. Breakwater Scuba is conveniently located at the end of Cannery Row, right next to Backscatter and across the street from San Carlos. You can put on your suit in their shop and finish gearing up on the steps by the water.

Most of the dive charters in the Monterey area aren't nearly as nice as the ones we have here in Seattle. Some are just tiny six packs, with no provision for a hot lunch. We're terribly spoiled. :)

Oh, you really should pop in to Backscatter while you're there. Very nice underwater camera toys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aquavelvet......noooooo...I cant go into Backscatter!!! I've already bought my flip filters from them and one +10 diopter.... I don't need any more ...I dont,...nahhhh...well maybe...

I like the the idea of shore diving using a guide because they sometimes know the secret spots! If I met a member there, we could unload my fear from our rental car and the family will come back a little later.mUsing one of thei guides cars would be fantastic too. Great options from everyone! Thankyou so much and I'm open to any more tips that may come across!

Tide charts aren't as important down here, BTW, and the shore entries pretty easy most of the time.

The car thing is more of a rendezvous or car pool issue. Several of the regional shops & clubs organize shore dives & might be able to connect you with transportation, if you're leery of connecting here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom