Washington/Oregon Craigslist bargain for somebody.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elmer fudd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hopefully, they're still available. USD triples for $25. I'm not going to make a 160 mile drive to buy some tanks I'll likely never use. I'm really tempted, but getting these hydroed and filled will probably be too much of a hassle. Fantastic deal for someone though.

Triple 30 Dive Tanks

Looks like trips that are part of a UDS1, minus shell and reg.

No, they are triples from the ABS system, minus the shell as Airleron says. Still a good deal though, even if just for the manifold.

I know they're a good deal, and if they were within 40 miles of me I would have just called the guy up and bought them, but at some point you have to figure that it's just not worth the trip, which for me would be something like 80 miles each way.

Hopefully someone here buys them and can show off their new triples.

No, they are triples from the ABS system, minus the shell as Airleron says. Still a good deal though, even if just for the manifold.

Dale, can you tell me the difference between those two systems? I honestly know zip about either one, other than they are as cool as a frosty beverage on a hot day......:cheers:

Inquiring minds want to know.

I know they're a good deal, and if they were within 40 miles of me I would have just called the guy up and bought them, but at some point you have to figure that it's just not worth the trip, which for me would be something like 80 miles each way.

Hopefully someone here buys them and can show off their new triples.

Not worth an 160 mile trip, how do you travel, in a covered wagon pulled by mules.

Stop it Captain, now you have me considering calling that guy :D
I did. He's away on a trip at the moment and told me to call back monday. He sounded a little tipsy actually.

Lisa, the UDS 1 was manufactured by US Divers and had triple tanks, but with an integrated aluminum manifold/first stage/tank filling system. It had a built in J valve reserve. Complex and very proprietary in nature. The tanks have 1" valve openings so only those tanks can be used with it. It's the system I'm talking about restoring on the other site. Cool but short sighted in many ways as most proprietary systems are.

The ABS triple system was also manufactured by US Divers but used a more traditional chrome over brass solid manifold with a yoke connection on the right hand side and no built in reserve. You could throw any reg set on it but a DH would need offset hoses as the yoke is skewed to the right. The tanks were 3/4" so any modern tank could also be fitted to it.

Another one of the clamshell styles one might see is the RAID double tank system by Technisub. I believe the tanks are not standard 72's (could be corrected on that) and the manifold system is also proprietary and quite complex. Ryan at Flashback SCUBA (Sea Explorer on the other site) gave me a good look through of this system at last years Tacoma dive expo.

Some other clamshell systems are the Watergill ATPAC and Dacor Nautilus as well as the Scubapro Scuba System.

Ryan also showed me a double tank clamshell Cousteau system (the one with the DH mounted on the chest) that he recreated himself from the original. I forget the name but the rig, and the story of its build, was amazing.

The clamshells are very cool and I think they may have suffered an early demise due to the "mainstreaming" of diving to the masses. This meant more rental/vacation divers who probably didn't have the time or need to understand or care for "all in one" systems.

Of course, the "all in one" recreational rebreathers are becoming quite popular now.

Not worth an 160 mile trip, how do you travel, in a covered wagon pulled by mules.

Not for them. Sure, triples of any kind are inherently cool, but I'm almost positive these are 6351 tanks, which means either I buy 3 new tanks or I fill them with a whip off my other tanks. Plus, I've never been crazy about the offset valve or the angled manifold used on these. I just didn't want these bad enough to make them worth the gas, time, hydro costs and hassle.

Now if those had been 50's or 60's era triples I would have gladly driven a 400 mile trip and I wouldn't have posted here until I had them home.

Dale, that set will go great with your UDS project... (I'm just saying :D)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom