Water Resistent Pencils....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shipreq

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Probably an old question but does anyone know a supplier of graphite pencils that will work underwater and not deteriorate after 1-2 dives. I have tried Trident, cedar but none seem to work well. I can not find a supplier in the US. Thx

First of all, welcome to ScubaBoard!

As to pencils, I just switched to PaperMate SharpWriter HB#2 mechanical. I like how the #2 writes on my wetnotes with my big clumsy dry gloves. I've got about 15 or 20 dives on the first one and it's still like new.

I bought mine at Office Depot.

Rick, thanks for your reply. I often thought about mechanical pencils but was afraid they would corrode. I will give these a try. Thx again.

Oh, one more thing! So far, I have only dived the pencil in fresh water. We'll see this weekend in the salt.

I use a flat carpenter's pencil...easy to sharpen underwater with a knife if needed, and holds up well in salt water.

shipreq:
Probably an old question but does anyone know a supplier of graphite pencils that will work underwater and not deteriorate after 1-2 dives. I have tried Trident, cedar but none seem to work well. I can not find a supplier in the US. Thx

Go to an 'artsy-craftsy' store and purchase solid-graphite artists pencils of "H" (as in HARD). I've been using them for more than a year (salt and fresh water) and the "H" does not dissolve. You can also write with any edge if it's not sharpened.

I've been using the standard #2 pencils, but instead of wood the body is made from some kind of plastic composite. They work well underwater. You can tell the difference just from looking at them.

My instructor in Phuket used one of thos epencils that have about 10 little ends int hem. each one has a pencil tip, and when it is too blunt or breaks, he pulls it out and inserts it into the top, thus pushing the next fresh tip down. Hope this maikes sense...

Anyway, it seemed to work fine, and he had been using it for many months, with at least 2 dives each day.

Z...

yeah wal-mart go to the arts and crafts section and get a graphite pencil

Lots of "plastic pencils" sold here. Usually from recycled materials and so on. These are plastic body and a plastic type of "lead". These dont corrode, split, expand and ive used the same one for about 2 years in my dive pocket without it dieing.

Im sure you can find the similar sort of thing in the US

http://www.bsac.org/shop/accs.htm (UNDERWATER PENCIL) is what im on about, looks just like a normal pencil except its plastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom