Water Temp in Egypt in Dec/Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverInSF

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm trying to pull together a Red Sea liveaboard dive trip for New Years for myself and a few friends. We have a mix of experience levels in the group and I'm questioning whether the water may be too cold for less experienced divers.

So I'm looking for first hand experience. If you dove in the Red Sea in the winter - how cold was it, what kind of wet suit did you use and what was your experience?

Thanks in advance!

Did a trip Mid-December last year (Brothers/ Daedalus/ Elphinstone). Water temp was 22 to 24C, I was very comfy in a 7mm. Back on the boat after the dive, it felt a bit chilly though...
Otherwise diving was very good, only one other boat at Brothers and we spent 2 days at Daedalus without seeing anyone... :)
Hope this helps.

Very few dive boats operate from dec till march. Water is too cold for "tropical divers". From 22° down to 18°. Be aware that most dive cruise will ask for a minimum of AOW with 50+ dives. For beginners, you have the North cruise but water is cooler in the north. Terrific place though :).

To the OP,
Sea temperature can range from 22C down to 17C so a minimum of 5mm (full suit) for most people. On one dive this January it went from 22C to 17C on the same dive :)

What you have to consider is the wind chill when you are out of the water particularly if you are doing multiple dives over a number of consecutive days. After a dive, taking your suit off in the wind was a bit of a gotcha :).

Between dives hang up your wetsuit to dry as much as possible.

Take warm clothing for after the dive and between dives. What I did was to take drysuit socks to wear with 5mm boots and a hood in the water. After the dive I would stick on a Xerotherm (polartec) top - it's more effective and quicker than towelling off and helps to warm you up.

BTW drysuit in those temperatures Dec/Jan is the way to go if at all possible - you won't overheat because of the windchill but, of course, airline weight restrictions might not make it a practical option for some.

Not related to the temperature but something worth considering. If your divers have their own equipment bring spare o rings, hose inflators,1st stage - it can be difficult to get replacements from dive operators.

Last edited:
i've been out late december before and water temp was 24/25 so pretty nice in the water. the issue is outside of water, waiting on the rhib is cold so if i was going to do it again i would take my drysuit with very thin thermals.

basically like everyone before me has stated the water temp isn't the issue it's the air temp combined with wind chill.

Going to the red sea in two weeks. I know the average Temps but does anyone have some current sea Temps for the north end.

In Eilat water temperature is currently 23degC, but I don't know the differences in temperature along the Red Sea.

Just got back from a Red Sea liveaboad tirp Dec 30 2016 to Jan 6 2017. The water temp was between 17 c and 21 c depending on where we were. We did the North Red Sea reefs and wrecks. The dive company we went with said a 5mm wetsuit would be good. I would say for most people this would not be enough exposure portection. Anyone on the boat with a 5mm wet suit was very cold and some did not do all the dives. One person told me they were shivering so much that they could not read their computer. I would suggest that at a min you would want to have a 7mm wet suit with a hood or double up with a shorty. A semi drysuit would be a better option. The best way to go would be with a drysuit with a lighter under layer for warmth. The air temp at this time of the year was also cool. Being on the sea a 21c day felt cold. Most people stayed inside in order to be warm for the next dive. Diving was good. I do not know about the south trips. On the North trip be prepared for some heavy currents and some crazy zodiac rides. It would be best to be up to date on diving skills before you go. My overall experience was good because I had the right exposure potection.

Not a great idea to do the north from end of Dec to mid march :(

Back
Top Bottom