Water temperature difference between ocean and cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sffrenchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello:

I am going to Cozumel in early May and plan to do a few dives in the cenotes. I was just wondering about water temperature differences between the ocean and the cenotes. I tend to get cold easily so I am wondering whether additional exposure protection would be appropriate.

Thanks,

Christophe

Ocean temperatures are usually 79-81. Cenotes are usually 75. It's noticeably cooler. Whether you will need more neoprene is probably pretty personal. Air temperatures are usually warmer because you are inland, so the cooler water feels pretty refreshing at first.

I also get cold easy.
Two years ago September we did a cenote on the main land. Water temp was 73.
I wore a full 2/3 and a shorty 3. Froze my a$$ off on the second dive.

I was wearing the same wetsuit I had on all week in the ocean and was cold in the cenote. Computer showed 75 where the ocean had been 79....

Another vote for getting more protection for the cenotes..
I dove shorty in the ocean but went full suit in the cenote when I was there and I did not regret that decision for a second as the water was as the rest have mentioned noticably cooler in the cenote, which was also a noticeably BADASS couple of dives..

also worth noting that 1) as Tigerman said, AMAZING dives and 2) go thick with the wetsuit - (you need less lead since it's fresh water), and you will want the dives to last as long as possible - they are soooo cool!

I used a full 3mm and was fine, but I can tolerate a lot of cold. Several folks in my group who were using full 3's in the ocean were using full 5's in the cenotes, and they were comfortable that way.

If possible make the cenotes dives the last dives of your trip. That way you get a 'free' fresh water rinse of all your gear before packing it up to head home.

I agree with Tailspin - I am one that will wear a full 3mm for the Ocean and a full 5 for the Cenotes and I am very comfortable in both. I love the fresh water rinse as well.

Enjoy the Cenotes.

I did my original cenote dives in a 3 mil with a hood, and I was fine. (And I get cold easily.) You are swimming constantly, albeit gently, and the dives are relatively short, in the 45 minute range.

For the Cenotes we both wear the same wetsuits we use for ocean diving in Cozumel - 3mm's. Neither of us get cold easily but what I remember about the Cenotes is that we never thought about the temp so I would presume that if it was colder it wasn't colder by much. Probably not worth hauling two wetsuits down here. Thinking about it a bit it seems the temp was about the same actually. The Cenotes probably aren't interesting enough for you want to do a lot of them anyway. The variety and the marine life is in Coz.

Back
Top Bottom