Water temperature in Similan in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katsea

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to Similan islands in January. What's the water temperature like at that time?

I rang up one dive centre in Khao Lak. The lady in the phone said the water is from 25 to 30 degrees.
That is a big range... If it's 25 degrees, I'll need a 5mm wetsuit (I'm not very big and I get cold easily in the water). I only have a 3mm one.
Can anyone also recommend some diving shops in Phuket, Khao Lak, or Koh Tao? I might need to buy a 5mm wetsuit there.

Many thanx:D

You should use the one you called, they told you the truth!

Temperature is normally 27-28C at depth and 30C at surface - however there can be thermoclines "Green Monsters" where the temp and visibility drop.

In these it can go down to 24-25C, but they are normally short lived and you have the option of moving to a shallower spot.

Don't worry about finding a wetsuit, there are lots of shops that'll sell you one readymade, or even custom make one for you.

Katsea, the water temperature in the Similans and Surins is 28-29 C at the moment (I just came back from a trip yesterday :D ) They shouldn't be much different in January - but yes, with the occasional green monster.

Most people are happy with 3 mm shorties, I wear either a 5 mm full suit or 3 mm shorty with a hooded vest underneath - I get cold very easily. I'd recommend going for a hooded vest. You could wear your 3 mm in the daytime and avoid getting super-hot while gearing up. And for the sunset or night dives you just wear the vest in addition and stay warm :)

There are quite a few places to buy wetsuits here - I always have mine custom-made at Hotwave in Chalong (Phuket). Excellent quality and very good price.

Enjoy your Similan trip :D
Karin

I'm going to Similan islands in January. What's the water temperature like at that time?

I rang up one dive centre in Khao Lak. The lady in the phone said the water is from 25 to 30 degrees.
That is a big range... If it's 25 degrees, I'll need a 5mm wetsuit (I'm not very big and I get cold easily in the water). I only have a 3mm one.
Can anyone also recommend some diving shops in Phuket, Khao Lak, or Koh Tao? I might need to buy a 5mm wetsuit there.

Many thanx:D

You really dont need to worry about getting a little cold even if the temp is as low as 25c!! It is Thailand, when you get out from the water you will soon warm up, unless you are a technical diver and are in the water for extended periods and doing long deco stops, cold is not usually an issue, a 3mm wetsuit is more than sufficient.

Loads of thanks:D

btw, I have to say people here are veeeery warm. I'm relatively new here. Every time I ask a question, there're always lots of people trying to help. A big Thank You :D

One more option to consider I personally really like. I generally just dive in a skin when in Thailand. Getting one will provide a good under layer and also give you an option for snorkeling without getting burnt by the sun. Having been on several Similans' liveaboards, most of my dives were done in a skin and thin hood (sun protection) and it was fine. I tend not to get too cold. They are relatively easy to pack and dry quick. With a 3m and skin you will be more than comfy and have something quite useful if you dive with a 5m at other dive destinations. It makes slipping a wetsuit on much easier.

Pinnacle Skin

I know an old post. But I found this post via google. So thought it would be good information.

Just did four dives out here at Island 4 and 7. Dive computer registered between 31 degree and 28 degrees at the deepest.

3mm shortie was fine. Though was a little shock going though the thermocline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom