Water temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using a 7mm my tolerance is about 55F average temp at depth. However, if it's warmer outside (75+ with minimal wind), I'd probably go down to 50-51F.

Anything in the low 50's and I ditch a 7mm 1 piece for a drysuit. All depends on you and how you define comfortable.

wanadive:
How cold is toooo cold with wetsuits on?

Anything <20c is too cold to be diving wet in my view.

For me it's not a question of water temp, but rather one of air temp. In the spring I have students going out in <40 degree water with air temps >70 and they're fairly comfortable but in the late fall you can be pushing 45 degree water temps and 30-40 degree air temps and more people complain about the cold.

personally, now that I'm older and wiser I wear a drysuit for any water I woudn't jump into nekkid.

How cold is too cold? Well, honestly, the only answer is, "If you're becoming hypothermic, it's too cold for that insulation for that dive."

You have several variables available. You can change your suit (thicker wetsuit, drysuit instead, or more/better insulation under a drysuit). You can make shorter dives. You can make shallower dives (if neoprene is involved). You can make fewer dives. You can do other less direct things.

The bottom line, however, is that hypothermia is bad, and when you get there is a function of more things than can be covered well here.

I've done dives hitting the mid 40s at 85' in a 5/4 wetsuit. That was too cold, and I didn't stay there long. I was "comfortable" at 55' in the mid 50s later in the same dive, but only if I minimized movement, as my sleeves were loose. If I had a custom wetsuit, it may have been workable for me for a first or second dive. I doubt I could make a third with that combination, however.

I tried to work in some 59F water this past year, I was fine until I submerged my head. Once my head was under and the cold water began seeping into my hood I found it impossible to control my breathing. I had to thumb it. Made the customer drain their pool. (dry suit cert is coming soon)

I did a dive over winter break this year at Breakwater in a 7mm full suit with a 7 mm step-in; my dive computer registered 54 degrees although two other people's registered 44! and 49! on the same day at around the same time. I know that it was the coldest I have ever been, my face was burning and my lips felt numb AND when I got out of the water about 35 minutes later it took a full 45 minutes to get the feeling back in my hands and feet!:errrr:

If I'm diving in water below about 56F then I'd go dry. You can dive in colder water but you will be far more comfortable and more likely to enjoy the dives.

Having said that I've dived with people who dive in a one-peice 5mm and hood in 48F water and they complained about being to hot. Me I'm diving dry at that point. A 2 peice 7mm is OK but why be cold if I can be warm.

were still diving lake lanier in wetsuits,7mil semidry,temps were about 45 degrees,im ready for the water to warm some,im pretty comfortable till about 50 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom