Water temps, South Florida's East & West Coasts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am currently in Key Largo and was wondering if the waters (at depth) on the West Coast of Florida are similar to Key Largo and vicinity.

I've become "super" sensitive to water temps and even 77 degrees (with a 5mm full wetsuit) gets uncomfortable pretty quickly. I plan to be in Key Largo for the next 2 months but would be willing to travel across southern Florida to find warmer waters provided the diving is at least decent otherwise.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Sy:)

The west coast of Florida will be colder in the winter. The east coast of florida is impacted by the gulf stream which brings warmer water from the south. In Key Largo, you're probably in the best spot to experience warm water during the next 2 months. I live in the Jupiter/WPB area which is very close to the gulf stream and also stays relatively nice but several degrees cooler than the Keys, at least from my experience. I've dove Key Largo in the winter and experienced temps in the low to mid 70s. In Jupiter, temps will almost always be in the low 70s at the best and with upwellings can get colder. Though, recently, a couple of SB'ers have posted temp reports in the high 70's in Jupiter/WPB. In the gulf, you're looking at temps in the 60's at best (as reported to me by a friend that used to spear out of Tampa regularly: I've never dove on the west coast in the winter, only dove it in the summer).

I don't like cold water either and wear a 7mm in the winter with a warm hood and sometimes a 2mm vest under the 7mm. I usually stay pretty comfortable. Some of the local divers wear dry suits around the Jupiter area too. A thermos of hot water, tea, coffee, etc, does wonders during the SI too.

Current water temp. off the South West coast (Venice) is 66, but may be cooler as depth increases. If our normal pattern holds we will likely drop into the low 60's. During the winters of 2009 and 2010 water temps fell into the low 50's. Right now a 7mm suit with a hooded vest will be good a good choice and an hour dive is not out of the question. Longer and deep dives wil require a semi-dry or drysuit come Jan. and Feb.

63 on the surface out of clearwater this past sat...70 two weeks before that... Its a lil chilly lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom