waterproof camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Napoleon_wrasse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a point-and-shoot waterproof camera.

Apart from the Canon Powershot D10 and the Olympus Tough 8000,
are there any waterproof cameras that go deeper than 10m?

If i had to take them down to 30m, does anyone have any bright ideas
on how to protect them without using a housing? Most dives start deep
then ascend, and a main point of getting this camera is to do
away with the added housing.

Why are you sold on a waterproof camera instead of a point and shoot with housing? Is it size? Cost? Losing features?

I love my little Canon SD550 and Canon housing. Makes the camera a bit bigger but it's protected, still very compact, I don't lose any functions, and it just stays clipped to my BC. There are several dives where I've taken it and not even touched it once but it's there if I want. Many of the Canon point and shoot cameras have Canon housings available.

Becca, Nice photos. I have a Canon SD600 in a Canon housing and dont find it to be too much bigger then the camera. I have not heard of any cameras that are waterproof rated greater then 10m.
John

Thanks. While I love my little SD550 it was awesome to be able to take the dSLR down with us on the last vacation :).

Why are you sold on a waterproof camera instead of a point and shoot with housing? Is it size? Cost? Losing features?

I love my little Canon SD550 and Canon housing. Makes the camera a bit bigger but it's protected, still very compact, I don't lose any functions, and it just stays clipped to my BC. There are several dives where I've taken it and not even touched it once but it's there if I want. Many of the Canon point and shoot cameras have Canon housings available.

I used to dive with a Canon S45 in a housing (i dont remember which), that had a flash/strobe
that attached off the side of the housing.
It was a hassle, and after a while, never got taken down again. Cost was/is not a concern.
The Canon S45 has long since died. The housing & flash is somewhere in the cupboard, I'll go look.

Mostly i just want to go diving, but some shots on some dives would be nice.

I totally agree something small enough to clip to the BC is important.
(I also have an old knife that is meant to attach to my leg; you know the rest of the story ...)

If there are no O-rings to look after that would also be a greaat selling point.

I'll check out the SD550

SeaLife Cameras - Underwater Cameras and Accessories

Although a housed camera, some of these are pretty small as the housings are molded around a smallish proprietary camera.

My SD550 isn't current anymore but when it comes time to upgrade I will stay in that Canon SD line. I do not have any kind of external lighting for it. Like diversteve says, the housing is pretty streamlined because it is made specifically for the camera. It's also light above water, only slightly positive when diving, and I can completely ignore it's there if I don't want to use it. I clip it to my upper right D-Ring with a retractor. I can swim around with in my hand/hands or just let it float on the clip. It's small enough and easy enough to handle I am also comfortable in undoing the buckle (retractor has a buckle built in) and passing it off to my dive buddy if they want to use it some. It won't take the wow pictures of our newer dSLR with strobe setup but it's convenient, cost effective, and doesn't interfere with my diving if I decide I don't want to use it. I would like to borrow one of the SeaLife setups from someone this summer so I can compare as my little Canon is the only underwater point and shoot I've used.

I have the SeaLife DC1000 and it is an excellent camera for the money.. Takes really nice pictures even without the external flash.

If i had to take them down to 30m, does anyone have any bright ideas
on how to protect them without using a housing? Most dives start deep
then ascend, and a main point of getting this camera is to do
away with the added housing.

IMO, you're looking @ this bass-akwards......&--- I would(& have--see my sig)put a small camera in a small UW housing & 'git wit it'.....just my thoughts though...good luck, let me know how your 30m dives turn out with a camera not in a housing....

Back
Top Bottom