Waterproof mini-books from fishid.com?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone bought any of the waterproof mini-books from fishid.com? ( waterproof mini-books )

Are they useful? When I find an unknown fish I usually have a hard time remembering all the different markings when I get back to the boat - and a slate is usually not big enough - not to mention my lack of drawing skills...

/Mike

I purchased the books for a recent trip to Bonaire. Then left them at home. Duh!
They are pretty small, so I am still not sure if they will fulfill their intended purpose.

I bought one during a recent trip to the keys. It's a nice idea and has a decent amount of fish despite its small size (you will certainly see ones not in this book though). However, I found that I just don't like trying to carry yet another thing around while diving and then to spend time underwater leafing through the pages of a book trying to match markings on a fish to drawings in the book. Its just not that fun. Instead, I believe I am going to buy a more comprehensive book (Ned DeLoach's Reef Fish and Reef Creatures books) and a digital camera. That way I can do my IDing in a more leisurely, certain, and comprehensive manner without distracting myself from looking around etc while underwater. Also, I don't have to rely upon the cooperation of the fishes in terms of staying in one place until I get them IDed. However, the little book doesn't cost much, so what the hay.

Happy New Years,
Dave

Back
Top Bottom