Watershot iPhone 4 case review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I used my new Watershot housing with my iphone 4 on our recent trip to the Exumas on Blackbeard. With the exception of some glitchy software issues I really like this thing a lot. My still photos were hit or miss but I think that's more due to operator error. The videos are really good.

Software issues: there were a couple of times that it seemed that the software got overwhelmed with my changing from still to video and would freeze up and send me to the internet - which I couldn't access even if I was on land because it would require touching the screen in places that are inaccessible when the housing is on the phone. Also, the software has a built-in compass, which I thought was really cool until it wouldn't work! On one dive I accessed the compass and got my bearing, then at the end of the dive I tried to access it again and it did its freeze routine again. If they can fix these software issues it would be fantastic - as it is I still think it's pretty darned cool. I'm looking forward to upgrading to the 4S because I'm told it has even better picture quality. The iPhone 5 would require a new housing.

When I'm on the computer that has the pics saved I'll try to remember to post some so you can see the quality. All in all, I give it a thumbs up.

Wow, really? 100 bucks for something that gives you "hit and miss" photos and doesn't work half the time? Money well spent I'd say :wink:

You make it sound so negative!! Seriously, I have a little JVC camera with underwater housing and strobe and I got better pictures from my iphone than I did with the JVC! There is a fix for the software available through iTunes and I'm hopeful it will fix the glitches. With my JVC I rarely got a decent still photo - seriously, it was completely accidental if I did - event outside of the housing! With the iPhone it's fairly reliable for stills and very reliable for video.

IMG_2615.jpgIMG_2627.jpg
Here are two pics I took with the iphone. I guess I need to make my videos into youtubes before I can insert them? Again, this is a PHONE, and it's primary purpose is not to function as a camera (or a compass). When it outperforms my JVC underwater camera which is primarily meant to be a camera then I have to say it's doing a pretty good job AND I get to pack lighter.

there, you answered your own questions

With the iPhone it's fairly reliable for stills and very reliable for video.

Again, this is a PHONE, and it's primary purpose is not to function as a camera (or a compass).

as for your JVC not performing, how old is that camera, to my knowledge its been a very long time since they made any, only camcorders

Again, this is a PHONE, and it's primary purpose is not to function as a camera (or a compass).
Yes exactly, this is my point. It's not the right tool for the job. So why even bother?

When it outperforms my JVC underwater camera which is primarily meant to be a camera then I have to say it's doing a pretty good job AND I get to pack lighter.
No idea what JVC camera this is, AFAIK JVC doesn't even make stills camera these days, so it's either a very old model or a camcorder, both of which would explain low image quality. In any case, you could have spent the same money on another, better stills camera plus housing and have something that works reliably and takes good pictures. We spent some 40 bucks on a housing for an old Olympus P&S that we had lying around and had a pretty decent setup for less than half the money. But to each his own.

It's sideways :)

I was sideways!!

Man, you guys are such scuba snobs!!! I think my JVC is the Picsio something. It's only a couple of years old and it shoots stills and video (HD). Here's what sold me on the iPhone case - the only extra thing I'm packing is that case; I don't have to find an alternative source to charge it up; it's easy to use; I can upload pictures to facebook without having to first download them to my computer; I'm not terribly concerned about getting photographer quality pictures - just vacation memories. My husband has the Sealife camera with the two strobes and all that stuff and it's a pain to pack and then use. I just want to dive and snap photos when the mood hits me. This worked well for me. So THERE! :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom