Ways to keep your wetsuit from getting smelly???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sperbonzo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I currently use a "Fresh Again Stink Guard" spray, but does anyone have any pet tricks about washing, drying, etc.... that works for them?:popcorn:

Not to hijack the thread or anything but I haven't had a problem with my suit getting ripe with just a good hose down after the dive. Where I DO see the problem is with my boots. They get incredibly bad (so much so that the smell invades into the cabin of the car from the trunk when they are back there). I've tried flushing them repeatedly with water but no joy. Any suggestions (Sink the Stink is already on the table) for curing this?

Thanks!

Interesting. I always thought it was the humidity in the south that caused the smell in the wetsuits. I wonder why you get that in your boots but not your suit.

TOM

Try using Downy Fabric softener. I put a cap of it in a tub of water and rinse all the our gear (wetsuits, booties, gloves, etc) and it stops the oder.

Nancy

On a multi-day trip, I try to rinse everything real well right after each diving day, but then do the tub/basin and sink the stink after the trip when I get home.

Sink the Stink works well. Latelly I've been using cheap shampoo (Suave Strawberry or Apple) and it seems to work just as well and it's a lot cheaper.

We do rinse out the suits REALLY thoroughly after each day of diving, but we still have the problem. The Stink Guard spray, http://www.scuba.com/shop/diving.asp_cat_5_scuba_1_gear_030219_pn_500PSI-6-PIECE-ULTIMATE-DIVERS-CARE-KIT
seems to work well on the booties, but with the larger surface area of the wetsuits it didn't seems to work as well.

So we so far have:
Stink Guard Spray for booties,
Sink the Stink wash (that doesn't require rinsing I see, so that's cool,
and Downy fabric softener (Does THAT require rinsing??, and would it do any long term damage?)

...any other thoughts?

i have no problem with my suit either, except in the wrists, which is difficult to get dry. i fervently dunk my suit in a tupperware tub full of just freshwater. I let my suit hang inside out until it is dry on that surface, flip it so it is right side out and let that dry....still smells like just neoprene

the boots on the other hand, i know they stink because its so hard to get them to dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom