Ways to Prevent a Scuba Diving Mask From Fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before I learned about mask defog, I used to just keep a little water (maybe a teaspoon?) in each side of my mask, and when the mask started to fog up I could just look straight down, shake my head and clear the mask. If the mask didn't leak on its own, I just peeled the flange back slightly to let a sip of water in as needed - doesn't take much. Faster than actually flooding and clearing the mask. Still works as a backup when the defog fails during a dive.

I used to have a hell of a time with my mask fogging up until I found out about this little trick.

A couple of good splashes of cold water on the face right before you put on your mask.

The problem is, a warm face and a (soon to be if not already) cold lens.

I rarely have a problem with fogging now.

Little windshield wipers work great ... you just have to remember to mount them on the inside of the mask ... :joke:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Little windshield wipers work great ... you just have to remember to mount them on the inside of the mask ... :joke:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wait, the wind-shield wipers go on the INSIDE of the mask? That explains why mine haven't been working very well.
windhsieldwipers.jpg

The first four posts in this thread pretty much detailed all the steps I was taught. I never fog up on dives.

1. We thoroughly toothpaste-ed our masks after originally taking them out of the box. Minty fresh scent. PASTE, that is. If you use *gel* toothpaste, you will probably not have a satisfactory result.

2. Cheap spray bottle filled with 25% baby shampoo and 75% water. A couple squirts in the mask, a quick dunk, and slap it on the face and you're good to go. I prefer to rinse it only enough that I'm not diving with bubbles. I like there to be some baby shampoo still in the mask if I can. As it's baby shampoo, it doesn't sting the eyes, and if you get it on the skirt you can slide your mask around to seat it better on your face.

3. For fogging during the dive, obviously swishing around a small puddle of water. I'd often wondered if there would be a way to reapply defog underwater and the licking trick sounds perfect. I'm really excited to hear about that one.

4. While spitting in the mask works and works well, this is not something you should do if you're going to use the same mask rinse bucket as everyone else afterward. Not everyone wants to wear your slobber. Maybe some do but you can get with them after the dive or something... Rinse it while in the water, or pour water from a hose or the rinse bucket into your mask and dump it overboard. No dunking spit in the bucket.

5. Learn not to breathe out through your nose if this is something you do a lot of. It's fine for equalizing and clearing the mask, but if you do it a lot you'll introduce lots of warm, moist air into the mask.

6. A good fit on the mask skirt so you don't have to clear leaks that often. Although for some reason, I can dive with no leaks at all on one dive and practically flood on another dive. I think my head distorts with depth :)

I haven't bought (or used) mask defog in years. I HAVE used Johnson's baby shampoo as defog, and it works better than anything else I've ever tried, with near perfect results.

Tried baby shampoo diluted in a spray and straight from the bottle. Straight from the bottle seems have the best result and works better than anything I have tried as well.

try toothpaste that works like magic for me... gives me a minty fresh mask during a dive :)

I actually use the $5 stuff from my LDS and it's great. No spit, bubbles or any other slimy stuff. I apply it 30 min before we actually get in the water, rinse it our just prior to jumping. You have to rinse pretty good to get all the residue. I rarely fog, and when I do, I open the skirt and let some salty goodness in, swish, and viola...crystal clear.

Burn with a lighter THEN toothpaste off the black gunk. Way way more effective than toothpaste alone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom