We need to sink the enterprise!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
HI all!

I have been doing a little light reading for a friend of mine on a ship his Dad was on in WWII. And I picked up on the fact that the USS Enterprise is due to be decommissioned in 2013.
A lot of people would like to make this a museum ship...but it turns out that after the navy pulls all of the Big E's nuclear reactors a great deal of the ships infrastructure will be cut away. virtually everything two decks below the hangar bay would have to be cut apart. Enterprise may also enter the Ship-Submarine Recycling Program as stated on Wikipedia.

So this being said would it not be cool to start a fund, find a place and sink this ship?

It would be an awesome feat if the Diver's of ScubaBoard found away to do this.

Happy Diving!

If you look back in history you will see the Navy already has plans for the ship they are going to follow through with what is planed. It would sound to me the most effective way for the Navy to use the ship is to recycle it. It would save our every hurting goverment a few thousand dollars.

Good luck getting some government weenie to free-release (radiologically) a nuclear powered ship, with all of the inaccessible areas. Heck, they won't give us any more ships anyway, with the Oriskany and Vandenberg fiascoes.

Good luck getting some government weenie to free-release (radiologically) a nuclear powered ship, with all of the inaccessible areas. Heck, they won't give us any more ships anyway, with the Oriskany and Vandenberg fiascoes.

Oriskany and Vandenberg fiascoes? Do tell, please. Seriously, what makes these fiascoes?

I believe he may be referring to the problems with actually paying for them.

Navy (MARAD) got stuck with a 21 million dollar bill for the preparation and reefing cost overruns for the Oriskany. The number actually varies between 13 and 21 million bucks, but at the price of scrap metal at the time, Navy/MARAD would have made about 2.5 million bucks scrapping the Oriskany. I'm happy as a clam the Oriskany is in Pensacola, but I don't know that it has the economic impact of say North Carolina or West Palm. It's certainly helped out the Pensacola operators. I'm sure someone has done a study of what the economic impacts is, I am not privy to it.

The Vandenberg was also plagued with cost overruns and missed deadlines. This is mostly due to the EPA's inability to set a standard for decontamination. How much asbestos is too much. What is the deminimus level for PCB. Is there an exposure hazard for PCB or Asbestos to divers or fishermen? Not too likely, as Asbestos is an inhalation hazard, and PCB is mostly an ingestion hazard, although it can be absorbed.

That's why they were fiascoes, and why it is unlikely that we will ever see another major ship reefing in dive-able depths in US State or federal waters.

Check with Captain Kirk. Maybe he has some pull at the Pentagon. Anyway, 21 million is peanuts compared to the money wasted at the Pentagon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom